1986 FZ600

Theodore Protasiewicz
This post is 5218 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I'm new the forum, and my 1986 FZ600 has been acting up.

I recently bought it , and everything was working great.

After about a week it started to get progressively worse , and now it just wont turn over.

--I'm not sure if this is the issue, but I put mid grade gasoline in it.

I took it too a mechanic and hes convinced that I need some fuel parts to get it working properly, so I found whats called a "used 1986 fuel pump set" on ebay, and I am currently waiting for it.

--Others have told me the bike does not have a fuel pump

The description below is from what I found on another forum, but unfortunately it was the users only post.

Does anyone have any ideas?

-Thanks,

Ted

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=41133&pid=415893&st=0&#entry415893

I have a 1986 fz600 (not fzr, but I'm hoping you guys can help anyway) that I'm in the process of getting running. So far I've cleaned the carbs and changed the oil. I'm at the point where I think she'd fire up if she'd turn over, but she won't. The funny thing is, that during the process of checking the charge in the battery when I purchased the bike, the engine was able to crank under its own power but now it seems like that is not the case. I've been going through the various electrical systems and so far have found nothing to be at fault, and the starter is able to crank the engine but its only when I short the starter solenoid itself (without spark of course). The only electrical component that was removed and then re-installed after the initial crank-over was the ignition module. Although I'm unfamiliar with transistorized ignition systems, I don't see how that could be the issue?

The start button causes the oil light to turn on, so I know that the start button circuit is not at fault. All the wires from the run switch, the light circuit, kickstand circuit and clutch circuit have been similarly tested with a multi-meter and they are all good. All these wires run through the flasher relay, and so far there is nothing to indicate that it is at fault either.

So far, I know that something is impeding the circuit between the start button and the starter solenoid but I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas, except to buy a full new set of mysterious black boxes (ignition box, diode box, flasher relay) when the ones I have are probably good anyway.

If anybody has any suggestion on how to narrow this problem, that would be much appreciated.

• 4 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After about a week it started to get progressively worse , and now it just wont turn over.

I took it too a mechanic and hes convinced that I need some fuel parts to get it working properly, so I found whats called a "used 1986 fuel pump set" on ebay, and I am currently waiting for it.

--Others have told me the bike does not have a fuel pump

The description below is from what I found on another forum, but unfortunately it was the users only post.

Does anyone have any ideas?

-Thanks,

Ted

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=41133&pid=415893&st=0&#entry415893

I have a 1986 fz600 (not fzr, but I'm hoping you guys can help anyway) that I'm in the process of getting running. So far I've cleaned the carbs and changed the oil. I'm at the point where I think she'd fire up if she'd turn over, but she won't. The funny thing is, that during the process of checking the charge in the battery when I purchased the bike, the engine was able to crank under its own power but now it seems like that is not the case. I've been going through the various electrical systems and so far have found nothing to be at fault, and the starter is able to crank the engine but its only when I short the starter solenoid itself (without spark of course). The only electrical component that was removed and then re-installed after the initial crank-over was the ignition module. Although I'm unfamiliar with transistorized ignition systems, I don't see how that could be the issue?

The start button causes the oil light to turn on, so I know that the start button circuit is not at fault. All the wires from the run switch, the light circuit, kickstand circuit and clutch circuit have been similarly tested with a multi-meter and they are all good. All these wires run through the flasher relay, and so far there is nothing to indicate that it is at fault either.

So far, I know that something is impeding the circuit between the start button and the starter solenoid but I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas, except to buy a full new set of mysterious black boxes (ignition box, diode box, flasher relay) when the ones I have are probably good anyway.

If anybody has any suggestion on how to narrow this problem, that would be much appreciated.

I was wondering if you could describe the symptoms that made it (progresively worse)

Without that I might suggest checking your fuse panel. I know that sounds too simple but I have been caught up in hours of diagnostics just to find the simple things end up being the cause.. Good luck

What did, you haven't actually detailed any real issue. Could just be a flat battery from the info we have. As to the mechanics discription of 'some fuel parts', meaningless.

Let us have a clear non objective discription of what the bike is doing, any odd noises, smells, have the plugs out for new ones (always worthwhile when you are having problems) but keep the old and tell us what they are like they may be usefull to prove the new ones too,is there any black deposits, white deposits, nice tan colour.

The bike will probably be telling you whats wrong we just need to listen properly.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Another 1 poster guys :huh:

Maybe i should get some stronger specs... :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online