YZ250F so much compression HELP! Video + Photo

mattcooper
This post is 5365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys

G’day my names Matt and I own a 2001 Yamaha YZ250F. I purchased the bike a few months ago at a reasonable price. Ever since I’ve owned it I have only been able to kick start it a hand full of times. I have taken it to the Yamaha dealer to get a service which included oil/spark etc etc and got the shims/valves checked. I was told everything was fine. The dealer even showed me how to start the bike.

"Bring the piston to TDC with the kick starter at a hard point. Pull the de-comp lever and press down on the kick start an inch or two. Bring back up and a full kick through."

I had a mate try and he could get it to go. I then could get it to go a few times by standing off the bike and a big kick down. But now I just cant seem to get it to go.

Is there anything I can do. Products like piston rings, auto de-comp etc etc or Techniques anything to start this thing? I’m concerned if I cant start this thing on my own soon Im going to have to sell it which is something I really don’t want to do.

I have uploaded a video and pictures just to try show the bike and demonstrate how hard it is.

Regards

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Guys

G’day my names Matt and I own a 2001 Yamaha YZ250F. I purchased the bike a few months ago at a reasonable price. Ever since I’ve owned it I have only been able to kick start it a hand full of times. I have taken it to the Yamaha dealer to get a service which included oil/spark etc etc and got the shims/valves checked. I was told everything was fine. The dealer even showed me how to start the bike.

"Bring the piston to TDC with the kick starter at a hard point. Pull the de-comp lever and press down on the kick start an inch or two. Bring back up and a full kick through."

I had a mate try and he could get it to go. I then could get it to go a few times by standing off the bike and a big kick down. But now I just cant seem to get it to go.

Is there anything I can do. Products like piston rings, auto de-comp etc etc or Techniques anything to start this thing? I’m concerned if I cant start this thing on my own soon Im going to have to sell it which is something I really don’t want to do.

I have uploaded a video and pictures just to try show the bike and demonstrate how hard it is.

Regards

Matt

Put all your weight on your right foot while pushing down the kick starter and show that YZ who's boss. If you can't get going cold you don't have a chance starting it hot. You can do it, we have fourteen year old boys starting the YZ 450F.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online