77' XS Wiring confusion

Goldfinger
This post is 5483 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,This is my first post on here and really need some advice!

I have just built a cafe racer from a 1977 XS400, and have some confusion with some of the wiring.

I will try to describe the problem as best as I can!

The condencer has two black wires with a white box end, which is connected to the other white box connector from the wiring harness. From the same point in the harness is one gray and one orange wire with male ends, and one red/white wire with a double female end. From the ignition coils there are one orange (female) and one red/white (male) wire from each one. Unless I am mistaken, the red/white wires connect to the r/w double end. With me so far? Further forward on the wiring harness is two orange wires with a single female end, and two gray wires also with a single female end. And last of all, there is the orange and gray wires coming from the engine head, which I think is from the contact breaker. If I could find out where the orange and gray wire from the engine connect to, and what connects to the orange and the gray double wires ( with the single female end).

I have tried starting the bike, it will turn over on the electric start but won't fire up. I am getting a spark at both spark plugs, and the fuel is going into the carb, so I am guesing that I have a wire or two mixed up somewhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

first off :welcome: goldfinger

I got lost reading the text so I'll start from scratch

red/white wire (1into2) connection is switched live feed to coils

doubled grey wire goes to right coil

doubled orange goes to left coil

single grey and single orange to contacts, you will have to swop round these as there is little way of knowing which way round they go as on my bike the colour coding is different on the contact's wires.

drewps

Thanks for the reply, Drewpy.

Your reply makes more scense than my question! I haven't had a chance to change the wiring and try fireing up the bike yet, but I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,

Goldfinger

Just a quick update on my wiring dilemma....

I tried to wire it as suggested, however the wiring is as follows, the single gray and orange wires are male ends, the double gray and orange are female ends, both orange wires from the coils are female and finally the orange/gray wires from the contact breaker are male. The only possible way is contact wires to double wires, and single orange/gray to coils, or vice versa. Is there any possibility of damage if I get the order wrong, or should I just try the different combinations?

My bike is Canadian although I cannot imagine the wiring being different from a European model?! Any advice would be appreciated.

Either way, I won't be able to try and start it for few days as my next problem is a leak from the gas tank, it appears to be leaking from where the securing bracket on the underside of the tank is welded on. Hopefully I can seal it myself, or I will need to look for a replacement.

Ah, the joys of old motor bikes!!!

you won't damage anything, It'll either start or wont as the timing will be out.

i checked mine on the flat tracker and it has after market coils on, can't see why it would still be different though!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online