Loose Chain

mattbt
This post is 5488 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My chain has recently come loose on my '02 Virago 250. I started noticing it after I stalled out accidentally while trying to start in second gear. It makes a weird squeaky noise while I´m coasting and downshifting. The bike still runs fine, but I worry that I'm doing more damage by continuing to ride. Do you think I just need to tighten the chain or could it be another problem? If it is just the chain, how do I tighten it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My chain has recently come loose on my '02 Virago 250. I started noticing it after I stalled out accidentally while trying to start in second gear. It makes a weird squeaky noise while I´m coasting and downshifting. The bike still runs fine, but I worry that I'm doing more damage by continuing to ride. Do you think I just need to tighten the chain or could it be another problem? If it is just the chain, how do I tighten it?

If its still on the original chain, no mention of mileage, and more importantly squeaking then it has gone far too long without lube. Check your sprockets as well. Do they look hooked? If they do then its a chain and sprocket set required. If not then a good dose of any proprietry chain loob may get you a stay of execution but i'd be saving for a chain at the very least. When you lube it the chain will stretch again as it free's up. As to adjusting it i dont know the bike so i cannot say without confusing the issue with assumptions.

Personally i replace as a set as the worn stuff will knacker the new quicker but bugets mean compromises in the real world. Secondly look at scott oilers. People berate them and they are a bit like marmite in that people either love or hate them. I think they are brilliant. The only real vice is they can give a little too much oil which needs cleaning off, personally i'd sooner that than a knackerd chain, dry chains can rob you of 5-6 horse power as well, more depending on the bike.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into lubing the chain or replacing it. I have noticed that the noise started at the same time I noticed the looseness of the chain, so how can I tighten it and see if that fixes it? Is a chain able to be tightened or does it have to be replaced? The bike has 5000 miles on it but I don't know if it is the original chain.

If its still on the original chain, no mention of mileage, and more importantly squeaking then it has gone far too long without lube. Check your sprockets as well. Do they look hooked? If they do then its a chain and sprocket set required. If not then a good dose of any proprietry chain loob may get you a stay of execution but i'd be saving for a chain at the very least. When you lube it the chain will stretch again as it free's up. As to adjusting it i dont know the bike so i cannot say without confusing the issue with assumptions.

Personally i replace as a set as the worn stuff will knacker the new quicker but bugets mean compromises in the real world. Secondly look at scott oilers. People berate them and they are a bit like marmite in that people either love or hate them. I think they are brilliant. The only real vice is they can give a little too much oil which needs cleaning off, personally i'd sooner that than a knackerd chain, dry chains can rob you of 5-6 horse power as well, more depending on the bike.

If the chain's done 5000 miles without any real TLC it is probably past its best. Adjusting the chain is a relatively simple opperation but its subtley different for every bike so all i can give you is generalisations rather than facts.

Best option esp if you are intending on hanging on to the bike for a while is to invest in a manual for it. That will go into the appropriate detail.

You might find someone on here with an electronic version.

Just for future reference aswell, i usually lube the chain after every ride or when i can start to hear it. Hope that makes sense, lot more noticeable on my CCM though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online