XJ900 F fuel economy isnt good

Prodigy
This post is 5492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just bought a 1994 XJ900 F and it seems to be burning it's way through a lot of fuel. The bike seems to backfire a little when idling and sounds quite rough. Any suggestions welcome.

Also is it normal for the bike to weave a bit during engine braking?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've just bought a 1994 XJ900 F and it seems to be burning it's way through a lot of fuel. The bike seems to backfire a little when idling and sounds quite rough. Any suggestions welcome.

Also is it normal for the bike to weave a bit during engine braking?

you should be getting 50 miles to the gallon, I'll post up some stats when I can find them,

its worth the cost to have the carbs balanced, get the carb rubbers checked out at the same time-they may be holed? and NO it shouldnt 'squirm' at all in normal riding :o

you should be getting 50 miles to the gallon, I'll post up some stats when I can find them,

its worth the cost to have the carbs balanced, get the carb rubbers checked out at the same time-they may be holed? and NO it shouldnt 'squirm' at all in normal riding :o

Thought I should be getting 50mpg, have just found out the bike has been stood for about 3 years prior to being built and sold to me so I imagine the carbs could do with a good clean too. Think I'll spend a weekend working over the fuel system and see how I get on. Was looking for confirmation that 50mpg was about right, cheers.

As for the squirm I think I need to check what's going on with the final drive and rear wheel.

Cant really complain for a £600 bike!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online