Back end 'wanders'

Trim5678
This post is 5345 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys, newbie on the forum and I've got a question.....

Sometimes, the rear wheel feels like its wandering to the left, independently of the front. This has happened a few times now and happens regardless of speed, wind strength or if I'm coming out of a bend. In fact, it's happened when I'm going in a straight line once or twice. It's not violent or anything, but I'm sure it's not right!

The bike has high miles (42k) but has been REALLY well cared for and serviced etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Tim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys, newbie on the forum and I've got a question.....

Sometimes, the rear wheel feels like its wandering to the left, independently of the front. This has happened a few times now and happens regardless of speed, wind strength or if I'm coming out of a bend. In fact, it's happened when I'm going in a straight line once or twice. It's not violent or anything, but I'm sure it's not right!

The bike has high miles (42k) but has been REALLY well cared for and serviced etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Tim

My money would be tyre wear or sw arm bearings/bushes. Could be as daft as chain adjusters set wrong and the wheel is out of line.

My money would be tyre wear or sw arm bearings/bushes. Could be as daft as chain adjusters set wrong and the wheel is out of line.

Thanks Cynic, I did wonder about the Swinging Arm bushes etc. I'm pretty sure the chain adjusters are spot on so maybe I'll check the arm... any tips? On the main stand do you think I'll be able to detect any play? Or shall I just take it to my local grease-pit?

Thanks Cynic, I did wonder about the Swinging Arm bushes etc. I'm pretty sure the chain adjusters are spot on so maybe I'll check the arm... any tips? On the main stand do you think I'll be able to detect any play? Or shall I just take it to my local grease-pit?

Get her up on the centre stand and after making sure A, the bike is stable and B, the wheel is clear of the floor grasp the ends of the sw arm and see if you can move it sideways at all or twist it.

While your there grasp the wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and see if there is any movement in the wheelbearings. ( push at 12 pull at 6 and reverse) you should feel no movement there at all.

As far as going to your favourite grease pit i'm afraid i'm not a fan. I do everything myself. If i don't know how i find out. I have been burned in the past by dealers. In fact my mountain bike, a Giant XC hardtail, nothing flash but a credible name i have found wanting from its initial build and effectively finished it myself..