Regulator/Rectifier Transplant

jordanscycles
This post is 5498 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can I transplant the R/R from a 1980 Suzuki GS 550 onto a 1979 Yamaha XS 750 Special? They are both 12 volt systems, and the R/R's both have 5 wires. I realize that the old GS series had a lot of R/R issues, but I think this one works. I just figure, a r/r is an r/r and it shouldn't make a difference. The purpose for doing this would be to solve a charging problem the yamaha has, and because it's the only rectifier I have lying around.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i did it and it did nothing. so maybe both r/r's are bad but, after I tried the GS rectifier I tried my xs 400 rectifier which I unplugged from the bike so it does work, but it did nothing too. So I'm not sure what to make of this. The rectifier on the xs 750 with the charging problem does work a little, but not much. you can't use the electric start because it wont recover that much voltage. It charges about half as much as it should. also the bike has 20,700 miles.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online