Divvy noise

Divvy_Rider
This post is 6711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

FFS, I just typed out a page worth of stuff then pressed backspace to delete a word and it made the whole IE page go back so i lost everything, .. So you'll just get a short version now 

right... I went to a local bike shop, the mechanic came out to listen to it then checked the cam chain tension coz he thought it might be that, that was making it tap, but it was tight enough so wasn't that, and he said it wouldn't be a problem with the valves because they don't normally need looking at until 25000 miles, my bike has only done 4300, and he says that it doesn't sound odd, and most divvys tap like that anyway so i have nothing to worry about, he also said the brakes/pads are fine, and the carbs are fine to don't need rebalancing, but he said i should change the oil/filter because the bike had been sitting for a while before i got it so just to be safe kinda thing. which i thought was really nice of him, because any other shop around here wouldn't even go near your bike till you give them some cash, and this guy just save me £150 odd for a service that it doesn't need (his words) I just thought it was really cool, that he got some tools and checked it out rather than making me book it in for a service. 

so anyway, I still don't like the tapping, but he says they do make a noise, is there any other divvy riders on here if so whats your bike like?.

oh and should i change the air filter while im at it.

thanks people

*edited for spelling :) *

I recently owned a '96 Divvy which I bought with 18,800 on the clock. I had the same noise with mine as soon as it got hot - sounded like a bloody woodpecker was trapped in the engine ;) . I did an oil change but it didn’t make a lot of difference.

Anyway, I'm a mechanic in the Army so I stripped it down to check the valve clearances and they were all fine. I wasn't convinced, and as this was my first big bike (passed my DAS on 3rd Aug 05) I took it to the Yamaha dealer for a second opinion. Their mechanic had a quick listen and laughed at me - 'you've got nothing to worry about,' he said, 'that sounds sweet as a nut, they normally sound like a tractor.' Anyway, he then had a listen to the clutch release bearing and said that I had no problems there either - apparently they make quite a row sometimes too.

Since then I’ve had a listen to my brother-in-law's '98 Divvy with 24,000 on the clock and his was even worse than mine.

Moral of the story - I would say you have nothing to worry about my friend :D

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1999 Divy with 18,000 miles and it makes a clattering noise when cold. It is not so noticeable when it is hot. When it is cold it does not sound healty but I have heard that most Divies make this noise. Nothing to get to bothered about. Its when these noises turn into heavy knocks there are probs.

Just checked the valves and swapped a couple of shims to get tolerances right and it still has noise from the top end, quite normal is the conscensus from a number of notable sources.

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem. No tapping when cold, louder when warm.

Checked the valve clearances, no gap!!! :-(

Got 2 shims out, one is 275, other is 270. I stopped there. They are obviously too

What should be the starting shims from scratch? 245 - 255?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online