XJ600 Oil change

alex_E
This post is 5324 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

this is my first post here so hope this goes well.

Just bought a Yamaha XJ600 1992 as my first bike, planning on doing it up a bit while i'm passing my tests. it's got virtually no oil so i thought i would start with an oil change and replace the filter, anyone know what oil i need and what the filter part is?

cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys,

this is my first post here so hope this goes well.

Just bought a Yamaha XJ600 1992 as my first bike, planning on doing it up a bit while i'm passing my tests. it's got virtually no oil so i thought i would start with an oil change and replace the filter, anyone know what oil i need and what the filter part is?

cheers.

:welcome: Alex

ok the XJ600 will need some 10W40 motor oil from memory 3200 cc (3.2 L) and a http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-144 should do fine for the filter ... just watch undoing the filter bolt

Regards Jim

:welcome: Alex

ok the XJ600 will need some 10W40 motor oil from memory 3200 cc (3.2 L) and a http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-144 should do fine for the filter ... just watch undoing the filter bolt

Regards Jim

Thanks very much for the quick response.

What do you mean by "just watch undoing the filter bolt"?

also any ideas where i might get the filter on a sunday?

Thanks very much for the quick response.

What do you mean by "just watch undoing the filter bolt"?

also any ideas where i might get the filter on a sunday?

Hi Alex,

the oil filter is set between the front exhaust pipes so it is very exposed to road dirt, which tends to corrode the bolt to the filter bowl. As the bolt has a small head in relation to the size of the bolt it tends to 'round off' unless you give it a 'shock' first and use a good quality socket to undo it. As where to get a filter from on a Sunday I could not suggest anywhere bar the breakers in Upton Upon Severn Worcestershire as I know they stock them and are open Sunday till mid day but not knowing where you are this is the best I can do

Regards Jim