1979 Yamaha XS 750 Special

jordanscycles
This post is 5499 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So if the bike is not charging the battery well or at all, then where would I go from there? Replace the rectifier? A new problem for me, advice appreciated. Also, the previous owner put in pod filters, and I'd like to know what jets to get for it or just put the original air box back in which he gave me.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So if the bike is not charging the battery well or at all, then where would I go from there? Replace the rectifier? A new problem for me, advice appreciated. Also, the previous owner put in pod filters, and I'd like to know what jets to get for it or just put the original air box back in which he gave me. 8vruyh.jpg

Hi,

what tests have you done ?

I would guess the following :-

DC voltage check across the battery which should show 14v + @ 3k if this is good a new battery is needed

stage 2 :

this depends a bit if the bike is a US or europe model

if europe check the v/r ,rectifier by testing between the red & the 3 whites (on the unit) for diodes i.e swing in one direction & not the other with the meter set @ 20 ohms and the same being true with the black to the whites and of course the red to black. US models have the lights on the whole time so may test different

refit the old air box and give the old girl a run as long as the motor is sound there is a fair chance the bike will run ok

Regards Jim

Thanks for the reply. It ended up being that the previous owner had worn the battery to hell and it wouldn't hold a charge. Went through the carbs, new dry cell battery, new fuel line, rebuilt petcocks, lined gas tank.. starts in two kicks and runs like a clock.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online