1978 XS400, Trying to get her running again.

Toeknee
This post is 5497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well to get straight to the point I just bought a 1978 XS400 for $20 from some guy in the pennysaver. He said it started and ran before he parked it 8 years ago. I want to get her running again and after giving her a good look over I've noticed it's not going to be as easy as I had hoped (is it ever?). So my first question is, does anybody happen to know a good website here in the states (Closer to California the better) that I could get some parts from? Just so I can kind of get a starting total of what it's gonna take to at least get the bike in putting around condition. Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll be coming back here a lot and bugging the crap out of all of you during this project of mine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I know this question sounds dumb (this is my first bike btw) but is there anyway special to open the gas tank up? I push down and turn the key but I feel like I'm going to break the key.

EDIT: Screwdriver took care of the problem right quick and now it's working perfect.

been working on a similiar project over the summer and have just got a 78 xs400 in running around condition. Its

been sitting for five years, theres a thread about it on the forum.

Cost wise :

new battery - 44.95 ( local dealer )

carb cleaner - 4.95 ( local dealer )

Depening on the condition of your carbs.

new floats - 42.95 each ( local dealer )

carb kits - 35 each ( www.siriussonic.com )

Theres also brake pads and tires to consider, havent had to get into those yet. Bought a couple of new tools but didnt need much outside of a standard ratchet set, did buy a multimeter for $20 at autozone, would like to buy more stuff but so far havent gotten to it.

The carbs soaked up virtually all of my time. Its my first time, someone more experienced would probably have done it over a saturday afternoon. Get stock parts as much as possible, dont try and pinch pennies on cheaper alternatives. This can suck up time.

Overall, its worth it, Im having a good time with it now and still learning. I found the work enjoyable and though frustrating at times, its definitely satisfying to get it out on the road.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online