Yamaha SR125 - 4 years storage

Subby
This post is 5427 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum this week, as im picking up a SR125 2night, to get running, do my CBT and use it as a runabout to and from work etc.. (did do a CBT back in 2005 but on a moped :( )

The bike hasnt been ridden for 4 years (from tax disc).

The owner says the only thing wrong with it is the battery (which is expected)..

But obviously what else should I be looking to do?

Ive changed all sorts of engines in all sorts of cars so shouldnt be too much of a problem to do anything.

I was planning firstly to clean it up, service it (oil, filters, plug) see if the engine runs and then just make sure it all works.

Are there any other obvious things that might not work or I should be changing because of the lack of use ?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would drain the fuel tank and put some fresh petrol in, it will most likely have gone bad after four years. Make sure there aren't any stiff links in the chain too. A squirt of WD40 into the switchgear won't do any harm either.

P

oil brake fluid coolant 2 stroke oil think thats it

as far as im aware, its a 4 stroke air cooled 125.

So its basically just oil and brake fluid.

Whats the best way of draining the fuel ?

just to update -

emptied the fuel and put new in -

changed the oil, oil filter and spark plug.

Was jumping it from a car battery and initially it wouldnt fire up - just turning over.

Took the carb off and cleaned it out (it was full of petrol - im not entirely clued up on carbs, but i guess it was flooded or something ? )

Put it back together and started first time! Everything works (apart from the horn at the moment but havent looked into that yet)

engine sounds really nice aswel which was suprising seems it hadnt been started in 4 years.

Just need to clean up all the chrome, give it a wash - mot and tax and job done !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online