They saw me coming...Attempt 2

Paradiddle
This post is 5421 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I posted this in the Classics forum by mistake... :rolleyes: :

As a newbie to Motorbikes (apart from the brief ownership of a YB100 in the late '80s) I've never worked on them or know that much about what really makes them go. I just bought a 1991 SR Custom 125 (I said so in my first post a few days back). I paid £265 for it. Bargain! I hear you cry. To get through it's MOT I had to pay out another £290.

Soooo... I have one outstanding problem on my not quite a bargain but already much loved Bike: The speedometer doesn't work at all. I've had a new cable fitted, got the guy who did the rest of the work to do it, it still doesn't work. Any common fault that causes this to happen? Any one have experience of this problem or any one know a good place to get some info? As it's the 1991 version it has drum brakes, I can't see a way to access the end of the cable to see if it's a problem that side.

Any help would be most welcome, cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, you need to find if the problem is the drive or the head!

unscrew the drive cable from the head and place the bike on the centre stand, then weight the back of the seat so the front wheel raises off the ground. Now spin the wheel and note whether the inner drive cable is turning.... ;)

...Paul

Hi, you need to find if the problem is the drive or the head!

unscrew the drive cable from the head and place the bike on the centre stand, then weight the back of the seat so the front wheel raises off the ground. Now spin the wheel and note whether the inner drive cable is turning.... ;)

...Paul

Finally got round to checking and the inner part of the wheel bit doesn't turn.

Are you saying the inner cable doesnt turn when the wheel is turned?

is thebike a drum brake model with the speedo cable attached to the brake plate?

Yup is the drum brake model. The cable moves fine and the speedo responds but the part inside the wheel doesn't work, I need a new speedo drive I guess.

My bike: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/386476...42f347648_o.jpg

Yup is the drum brake model. The cable moves fine and the speedo responds but the part inside the wheel doesn't work, I need a new speedo drive I guess.

My bike: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/386476...42f347648_o.jpg

The usual problem is when someone has the brake backplate off and doesnt put it back on properly, if you remove the backplate you will see a revolving tab that is supposed to engage into a slot, poeple dont realise that the tab and slot have to be carefully aligned when replacing the backplate, this then bends the tab and the speedo doesnt work, you'll have to have a look to see if this is the case with yours.

...Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online