Im new, need some advice please! :)

yammy101
This post is 5505 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, I just recently got into motorbiking and passed my CBT at the weekend and Im now a proud owner of a YZF-R125! Need some advice on keeping it secure,

Ive been looking at chains and disc locks to tie the bike to a metal post I have outside where I live. I have heard that even though these chains are meant to be strong, it seems they are not completely safe against a decent pair of bolt cutters. There are these chains that have a disc lock on the end and I can imagine these are more ideal as even if some little oik got through the chain, the disc lock would remain on the bike and stop it from being pushed away.

Also, is it better to chain the back wheel or the front wheel?

Any advice you have for a newbie biker would be much appreciated!

Nice forum btw!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone, I just recently got into motorbiking and passed my CBT at the weekend and Im now a proud owner of a YZF-R125! Need some advice on keeping it secure,

Ive been looking at chains and disc locks to tie the bike to a metal post I have outside where I live. I have heard that even though these chains are meant to be strong, it seems they are not completely safe against a decent pair of bolt cutters. There are these chains that have a disc lock on the end and I can imagine these are more ideal as even if some little oik got through the chain, the disc lock would remain on the bike and stop it from being pushed away.

Also, is it better to chain the back wheel or the front wheel?

Any advice you have for a newbie biker would be much appreciated!

Nice forum btw!

Look at it from a more upseting point of view. You want to make it easier to nick somebody elses bike.

Disc locks are good for out and about (so long as you get a good one some can be opend with a pen top) D locks are handy too as they can go around railings and such.

Personally if you want to buy a monster lock great but you are going to have to carry it. So buy another and keep size sensible as a traveling lock and keep the monster for when its locked up outside overnight. As when you are out and about you are only worrying about oppotunistic wank3rs. But once its been parked regularily in the same spot for a while people can plan.

If you can the chain really wants to pass through the frame, wheels can be removed. Also a cover would also be a wise move as then people cannot see what you have, and they cannot see the security you have. Also basic stuff if you have a security light use it or fit one.

If you have say a padlock around the chain and sprocket ( disc locks dont generally fit rear discks), the BF chain through the frame and round the post, not forgetting to route the chain so the lock is floating about in mid air and a Disc lock/the traveling lock on the front all coverd up i cannot see anybody being arsed to remove all of that.

Thats probably OTT but ultimately its up to you but if somebody really wants it they will take it, unfortunately.

Oh and welcome.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online