My 1998 Thunderace

Chris3789
This post is 5509 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

Thought I'd show you some pictures of my work in progress. It's a 1998 Thunderace with a few mods. A few years ago I was victim of a hit and run and decided to fix it up myself. The panels that I got were all a different colour (originally it was the black/blue edition) so I decided to get it painted. I settled on Ferrari Rosso Corsa and went about giving my Thunderace a secret identity. Due to the age of the machine and the fact that it was ushered into the sports/tourer class by Yamaha when the R1 was released plus there's not that many around, I find it very interesting that some folks will crawl all over it trying to find out what it actually is.

Bike1.jpg

From this picture you can see that I filled and painted the clutch cover to take the makers name off it. I plastic-coated the fairing support silver and the rear brake lever black. I've added a Simmi end can and want to add to that with a stainless set system.

Bike2.jpg

I've removed the exup valve as it was jamming, put a K&N filter on, braided brake pipes, dogbone lift kit. Fitted an undertray and single seat cowl, added flush-mounted carbon-look indicators, carbon fibre front mudguard and a carbon-look rear hugger. Fitted with genuine Ferrari badges. From these pictures you can see that the rear pegs are still present.

100_0522.jpg

100_0523.jpg

I couldn't find an exhaust hanger anywhere so a friend of mine suggested that I chop off the aluminium of the original hanger where the footrest it attached. Turned out pretty well after some loving touches with the dremel.

I'm also fancying having the wheels plastic coated silver. Any thoughts?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online