idle issues

changaz
This post is 5514 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

only new to the forum, but look forward to being an active member.

Recently purchased a wr400f 2000model from a mate, who rode it once a year for the past 2 years,.

I have the bike home, and have been fiddling a bit and have one last prob to fix till its all done.

The bike will start fine with the choke out, and will idle. Although even after a good warm up, doesnt seem to want to idle if the choke is pushed in. if i push it in and try revving it it bogs down. If i start riding and push the choke in it rides beautiful.

any suggestions on what to do. I have just drained the tank and filled it with new premium fuel. i am going to replace the plug. I had a fiddle with the idle screw but had little success.

when it comes to cars im a pro, but bike are a bit new to me which makes me a little nervous to tinker.

any suggestions much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah if the plug doesnt fix it you should open up the carb and make sure the jets are cleared. the idle jet will be the smaller one and the main jet is the larger one, more likely your idle jet is partially blocked so you can clear it with a piece of wire or go to a dealership and get a jet clearing tool for like $10. or it could just need to be tuned, the mixture screws on the carburetor should be screwed all the way in then backed out 1 and 1/4th turns. Also if you're going to buy a new plug make sure to look up what plug it is in the microfiche, instead of just going off what's in the bike since you've never changed it, so you can ask the dealer if you were going to get the plug there anyway or just look it up yourself.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online