xj600 diversion non starter

tunny888
This post is 5361 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

A bit of history my second bike a 1992 XJ600S Diversion sat in garage for a couple of months,tried to start it loud click on right hand side,no go.much head scratching replaced faulty starter solenoid.new one ok according to haynes test method.Still no joy next option is replace either relay assy on left hand side of bike,or ignitor unit assy on right hand side of bike.

My question is can anybody suggest other options or tests to isolate problem.

Thanks in Advance

Tunny

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

A bit of history my second bike a 1992 XJ600S Diversion sat in garage for a couple of months,tried to start it loud click on right hand side,no go.much head scratching replaced faulty starter solenoid.new one ok according to haynes test method.Still no joy next option is replace either relay assy on left hand side of bike,or ignitor unit assy on right hand side of bike.

My question is can anybody suggest other options or tests to isolate problem.

Thanks in Advance

Tunny

Sounds like youre battery is shagged/or not charged enough

Take the whole starter motor off and connect it directly to the battery, just make sure the motor, as well as your noo solenoid is working :mellow:

Battery fully charged every other electrical item works .

Starter turns used jump lead to connect direct to battery both on and off bike engine turns over no problems but wont work off button or bumping

Battery fully charged every other electrical item works .

Starter turns used jump lead to connect direct to battery both on and off bike engine turns over no problems but wont work off button or bumping

does it just 'click', or is it making a humming noise with the button pressed?, dont hold button for longer than 10 seconds :mellow:

no noise at all

the oil light goes out when you press button

but no other signs of life

with oil and neutral light on, it defo' sounds like a prob with the side stand safety switch/or circuit, check this in your 'Heinous' manual bud :mellow:

no noise at all

the oil light comes on when you press button

but no other signs of life

I know exactly what the problem is. It happened to my xj600 in April.

If you look at the Haynes elec diagram and trace the wire from the starter button(blue/white?) it goes into a block connector before going to the starter relay which is located under the seat on RH side, should be the forward relay out of four. Even though it will look ok but it will be corroded and therefore not making a connection. Mine is a W reg(2000) if yours isn't located there because of being an older model the Haynes manual will tell you where it is.

Mike

Hi all thanks for all your help still no joy.

Tested all connections and connectivity from starter button to relay assembly

tested same for neutral switch sidestand oil pressure and clutch switch.

so the only thing left is to replace relay assembly then ignitor unit and see what happens

New pads and HEL lines have arrived for ninja so will be busy with that

but will let you know when divvy is fixed once again thanks for all help

Cheers chaps :D

I know exactly what the problem is. It happened to my xj600 in April.

If you look at the Haynes elec diagram and trace the wire from the starter button(blue/white?) it goes into a block connector before going to the starter relay which is located under the seat on RH side, should be the forward relay out of four. Even though it will look ok but it will be corroded and therefore not making a connection. Mine is a W reg(2000) if yours isn't located there because of being an older model the Haynes manual will tell you where it is.

Mike

Same happened to mine, corrosion in the block connector stopped the starter solenoid from being energised. It's very exposed to all the rear wheel spray.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online