AS1 RESTORE

old skool
This post is 5343 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

G'day all,

for those intrested in restoring old classics,iam beginning my first 'classic restore' of a 1968 YAS1.

i've had the bike since i was 12 yrs old,back then dad thought it was time to upgrade from the KD80 to a 125cc and brought it off a work mate who only had it to teach his daughters to ride, after that just sat in his shed for years.

Offered it to us for $350 in 1983,i was a happy young fella the power was unreal at that age.(only went round'n'round in the paddock really)

Back then we had no idea what bike it was,just rode it for a few yrs until the throttle cable broke, and that's when it went into a deep long sleep (25yrs)..... :zzz: ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! (bit more background in my fist post).

Moved on to more modern bikes at the time and just left the AS1 in the shed,

wasn't until 10 yrs ago i knew i had something special and decided 'one day i will restore her'.

funny thing is, ive had more then a dozen bikes come and go,(regret selling my RZ 250 :banghead: ),but i never for once thought about selling my AS1,something in my head kept saying 'dont sell it,dont sell it',glad i never.

here are some pics of my progress:

where she slept for 25yrs

YAS11968011.jpg

first sun light for 25yrs

YAS11968009.jpg

frame stripped

ASrestorestripdown003.jpg

all in bits

AS1restorestrip003.jpg

the parts a have gathered so far

AS1restore009.jpg

this may take me a while for 100% restore,trying to build a house at the same time :eusa_doh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks great man. Wonder what colour it is. They are usually red or black but that looks real nice. You should have no problem getting parts for it. Have a look art this website http://www.yamaparts.com/ they have restored several YAS1s to a very high standard. :o

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online