FZ600 bodge job!!

Fahren
This post is 5522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Took my FZ6 out for a long run yesterday 150 mile round trip....when i got home i had oil on me boot and the lower fairing was dripping with oil...the culprit was lower crankcase plug the one that is 5 inches forward of the oil level window.

Figured id nip it up first only to find the damn thing fell to pieces...apparently it was damaged at some point in its 22 year history and cleverly painted over to hide the crack in the top of the head...so i removed the offending plug and found that whoever had bodge fixed it had also used what i think is araldite to seal the plug on the inside, only thing is i only found a quarter of the stuff in the crankase housing

So the question is do i drop the engine and remove the sump casing to be sure theres no big chunks of this shite floating around the engine? or use an engine flush ( or both)...or take a leap of faith and assume that if there was anything in there its probably been reduced to particles, which would have probably damaged the engine anyway

I mean how much would a bloody plug cost? damn cheapskates!!

Ive done 1300miles on this bike in a month mostly just little runs here and there and it seems to run fine, plenty of grunt in the old gal...but out of action atm till i decide what to do.. i guess its a no boner really and for peace of mind i should drop the engine and open her up which is gonna take some time...there goes my summer!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Took my FZ6 out for a long run yesterday 150 mile round trip....when i got home i had oil on me boot and the lower fairing was dripping with oil...the culprit was lower crankcase plug the one that is 5 inches forward of the oil level window.

Figured id nip it up first only to find the damn thing fell to pieces...apparently it was damaged at some point in its 22 year history and cleverly painted over to hide the crack in the top of the head...so i removed the offending plug and found that whoever had bodge fixed it had also used what i think is araldite to seal the plug on the inside, only thing is i only found a quarter of the stuff in the crankase housing

So the question is do i drop the engine and remove the sump casing to be sure theres no big chunks of this shite floating around the engine? or use an engine flush ( or both)...or take a leap of faith and assume that if there was anything in there its probably been reduced to particles, which would have probably damaged the engine anyway

I mean how much would a bloody plug cost? damn cheapskates!!

Ive done 1300miles on this bike in a month mostly just little runs here and there and it seems to run fine, plenty of grunt in the old gal...but out of action atm till i decide what to do.. i guess its a no boner really and for peace of mind i should drop the engine and open her up which is gonna take some time...there goes my summer!

drop the engine no doubt, it will be much more costly in the long run if there is bit floating around also could do some damage to ureself if the thing explodes ... its a no brainer realy

just get a little 125cc run about then sell it after :)

:rolleyes: Ive got to stop drinking lol quotes self "its a no boner" duh..... should have have been "no brainer"..its the stress of having 6 kids honest....i new i should have gone for that cheap zx9r...£800 1997 model..no tax no mot bad dint in tank and a flat back tyre..(small bad dint lol)..but then id have to join the kawasaki owners club hahaha..and i like yams!.....ah well tis fun to mess with bikes so i guess ill get to work.

atleast the engine should be easy to drop unlike some bikes.....wonder if i could just support the engine from above and remove the engine cradle bars then drop the sump off??...will consult the yama bibles of haynes and clymer!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online