1972 DT2

2-Stroke Dan
This post is 5372 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of Yamaha 2-Strokes from the early 70's, especially the AT2, DT2, & DT360 singles (great memories). I've kept an eye on ebay & gumtree for ages, but nothing suitable/affordable ever showed up. Then, by accident, I discovered a 1972 DT2 sitting in a garage just a few miles from my house! :D. I almost bought it there and then, but I decided to check on some parts availability first.

The bike is almost intact, just missing indicators for road use. It runs, but needs constant throttle and is hard to start. I noticed some fluid on the flywheel, so I reckon that one (or both) main seals are blown. I've searched the net (bikebandit, etc) but I can't find anywhere with seals in stock (I guess a lot of DTs blew seals). Is there anywhere I can get oil seals to fit this bike? would seals with the same dimensions (for an outboard motor) be suitable?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check out this Ebay part item # 360176953614. This should be what you are looking for.

Thomas Correa

Thanks a lot Harmonicaman, much appreciated!

Now I just need to win the auction...

I took on a 1973 DT250 DT3 last year (the one with the green tank) it's a US import (they all are i think). Anyway, spares seem to be plentiful that side of the pond....I have found some amazing bits. There are a couple of places that sell a lot of dt parts, speed&sport inc, and NW vintage cycle parts to name but a few. do a worldwide search on ebay youll find just about anything you need.

Good US website : www.yamahaenduro.com very helpful bunch there and often have bits for sale, and some keen members who remanufacture things. (i got a new seat foam from one member who makes a batch every now and again

The only thing i've been struggling to find is a seat pan.

All in all i would say go for it. It's going to be a lot easier to finish the 250 than my '76 DT400!

Let us know how you get on, i can always point you in the direction of parts etc.

Good luck,

Chris.

I took on a 1973 DT250 DT3 last year (the one with the green tank) it's a US import (they all are i think). Anyway, spares seem to be plentiful that side of the pond....I have found some amazing bits. There are a couple of places that sell a lot of dt parts, speed&sport inc, and NW vintage cycle parts to name but a few. do a worldwide search on ebay youll find just about anything you need.

Good US website : www.yamahaenduro.com very helpful bunch there and often have bits for sale, and some keen members who remanufacture things. (i got a new seat foam from one member who makes a batch every now and again

The only thing i've been struggling to find is a seat pan.

All in all i would say go for it. It's going to be a lot easier to finish the 250 than my '76 DT400!

Let us know how you get on, i can always point you in the direction of parts etc.

Good luck,

Chris.

Thanks a lot Chris, I'll check out those links.

I think I will go for it, as they're hard enough to come by this side of the pond. It's a US import, but the owner claims it's a DT1 because the year of manufacture is late '71 and the VIN starts DT1F.

I think it's a DT2 because the engine has reed valves, the engine casing has 'YAMAHA' indented (the DT1 was raised) and the rear light & petrol tank look to be DT2. Also, the first DT2's had the DT1F prefix.

If anyone can help to positively identify it from this pic, please do:

DT2.jpg

It needs a paint job (candy orange), front fender, rear shocks and a new seat.

Check out this Ebay part item # 360176953614. This should be what you are looking for.

Thomas Correa

Damn, missed out on them :( (sold for $52.01). I guess I'll just have to keep looking...

Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of Yamaha 2-Strokes from the early 70's, especially the AT2, DT2, & DT360 singles (great memories). I've kept an eye on ebay & gumtree for ages, but nothing suitable/affordable ever showed up. Then, by accident, I discovered a 1972 DT2 sitting in a garage just a few miles from my house! :D. I almost bought it there and then, but I decided to check on some parts availability first.

The bike is almost intact, just missing indicators for road use. It runs, but needs constant throttle and is hard to start. I noticed some fluid on the flywheel, so I reckon that one (or both) main seals are blown. I've searched the net (bikebandit, etc) but I can't find anywhere with seals in stock (I guess a lot of DTs blew seals). Is there anywhere I can get oil seals to fit this bike? would seals with the same dimensions (for an outboard motor) be suitable?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

hi, I restored a 1969 dt1 over this winter in just over 5 months the bike was complete but very tatty i did not struggle to find any parts which nearly all came from america some took a little longer to source than others but found there was nothing i could not get as i replaced nearly everything with new inside and out, they are an excellent bike they don't come up for sale very often here so dont let parts availability put you off. speed and sport were great for parts but a bit expensive nw vintage cycle parts were excellent both are in the states and have websites delivery is around 2 weeks also worldwide ebay has hundreds of dt1/2 etc parts up for grabs. hope this helps

number 16, right side crank seal

http://www.nwvcp.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

left side crank seal

http://www.cycle-parts.com/details.asp?Pro...%20SEAL,SW-TYPE

For the record:

Left Crank Seal Part Number : 93103-30044-00

Right Crank Seal Part Number : 93103-42045-00

enjoy

Thanks a lot for the links, just what I need! :)

hi, I restored a 1969 dt1 over this winter in just over 5 months the bike was complete but very tatty i did not struggle to find any parts which nearly all came from america some took a little longer to source than others but found there was nothing i could not get as i replaced nearly everything with new inside and out, they are an excellent bike they don't come up for sale very often here so dont let parts availability put you off. speed and sport were great for parts but a bit expensive nw vintage cycle parts were excellent both are in the states and have websites delivery is around 2 weeks also worldwide ebay has hundreds of dt1/2 etc parts up for grabs. hope this helps

Hi nets,

Thanks for the advice, I've decided I'm going to go for it (even though I've no room for another bike). Have you any pics of your DT1?

I wish I'd asked for advice here sooner, you guys have been very helpful :thumb: . Hopefully I'll have some resto pics to share over the winter :)

Thanks a lot for the links, just what I need! :)

Hi nets,

Thanks for the advice, I've decided I'm going to go for it (even though I've no room for another bike). Have you any pics of your DT1?

I wish I'd asked for advice here sooner, you guys have been very helpful :thumb: . Hopefully I'll have some resto pics to share over the winter :)

got loads of piccies if only i knew how to attach some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got loads of piccies if only i knew how to attach some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm using Photobucket to store my pics. You can easily cut'npaste the IMG code for any photo straight into your post, no need to use the 'attachments' feature.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online