First time buyer

SalaD FingeRs
This post is 5403 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there all,

Would like to hear some opinions from some people who have been around bikes for a while... this is my first post here so let me introduce my self, my name Aaron from malta soon to be 22.

I recently fell in love with a cool looking Yamaha virago vx125s to be exact, a friend of mine has one and is thinking of selling it for approx 1800 euros, this is a 1999 model with roughly 350000km on it. I'm considering to buying this bike but need to know if it's worth buying it, maintenance wise. Do you think the virago is a reliable bike? Is it ideal for a first time buyer like myself? Are parts easy to find?

It would help if i got some personal opinions on this bike, since right now I'm on a tight budget and really can't afford to buy a high maintenance bike.

Really like this bike and all your opinions would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well you asked for personal opinion so, their crap, a mechanic freind of mine had one and it fell apart over a period of three years ,the electrics were a pain in his arse and it didnt like the rain,it often ran like a sack of shat and he was often late for work,well thats my opinion of them.ho yes i just remembered JOSHUA 2 has a 600 .but he has lots of time to tinker,when it all falls apart on him. :P good luck.

In my opinion, ALL motorcycles are crap.

They ALL fall apart over a period of years, NONE of them like the rain and electrics are always a pain.

I'd not put too much faith in other people's opinions, especially regarding Cruisers, because the really bad stories tend to come from fuckwitts who don't look after their bikes.

But biting sarcasm aside, yes - The Virago is a very good first bike, especially for smaller riders.

The 125 Viragoes themselves are reasonable, but somewhat delicate. You want one that's in good shape to start with and don't try riding it like it's an R1.

The assumed 35,000km is reasonable and the bike's value should hold rather well from here onwards. Parts are getting less easy to find, but the bike is well-loved by many people and there's still plenty of parts to be found.

Every bike requires maintenance.

Look after yours, keep it clean and lubricated and she may well see you an actual 350,000km.

Thanks for all your replys guys really appreciate.... still abit confused about the bikes milage... i'll just have to take a picture of the gauge and show it to you so then we can decide on what's the actual milage

Managed to get some pics from the seller as well... they where taken when she was a little dirty, but i have seen it all washed up and she looks great!

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

what do you think guys?

Hmmm..... Looks bloody filthy, only has one mirror (and a weird one at that), has weird saddlebags that look like they've been put on wrong....

I can't see anything that immediately looks bad, though.

I don't know what the Maltese laws are like, but in the UK you can get a 535 Virago for the same money (sometimes as little as £900) in great condition.

Hmmm..... Looks bloody filthy, only has one mirror (and a weird one at that), has weird saddlebags that look like they've been put on wrong....

I can't see anything that immediately looks bad, though.

I don't know what the Maltese laws are like, but in the UK you can get a 535 Virago for the same money (sometimes as little as £900) in great condition.

haha I'll admit it does look pretty dirty... I'll try to get some cleaner pics of it... ironicly the current user loves this bike and frequently gives it maintenance checks.

yeah the morror thing was just a pitiful attempt to 'customise' it by the original owner, current owner doesn't even use it, just left it there for legal reasons! as for the seddlebags.. he can keep them

unfortunately here in malta veichle prices are a bit high - compairing the asked price for this bike with some other bikes for sale... i'd say this one is quite a bargain

this is a Local auction site

cheapest one going for approx 3000 euros

UK prices are definety lower for second hand veichles.. in fact ever since we enetered the european union people have been importing daily loads of cars from the UK

Hi there all,

Would like to hear some opinions from some people who have been around bikes for a while... this is my first post here so let me introduce my self, my name Aaron from malta soon to be 22.

I recently fell in love with a cool looking Yamaha virago vx125s to be exact, a friend of mine has one and is thinking of selling it for approx 1800 euros, this is a 1999 model with roughly 350000km on it. I'm considering to buying this bike but need to know if it's worth buying it, maintenance wise. Do you think the virago is a reliable bike? Is it ideal for a first time buyer like myself? Are parts easy to find?

It would help if i got some personal opinions on this bike, since right now I'm on a tight budget and really can't afford to buy a high maintenance bike.

Really like this bike and all your opinions would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Aaron

you shud get a dt 125 :) or a yzf 125r

33,136.64 Km.

The white dial is 10ths of a mile/kilometre.