How Does the Clutch Cable Work?

saloonstudios
This post is 5533 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Pardon my lack of technical language-

I've recently acquired a 1980 XS400G and all I was planning on doing to get it running was clean the carbs and put new chain and sprockets on it... however, as I was cleaning the drive rotor I noticed that the pin that the clutch cable was connected to shows a little bit of wear. I tried rotating it around and it rotates freely, but it doesn't push in any further. It will slide out easily as well, but as I started to pull it out an inch I realized this was probably a pretty bad idea. My question here is, how is this pin supposed to control the clutch? Is it supposed to slide in? If I pull it out am I going to drop something into the engine case?

In the image below I'm referring to the pin with the orange gasket around it:

IMG_4097-700.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its hard because you're pushing against the clutch springs when you push it in which is what it does when you pull the clutch lever. It can come out all the way with no problem and it'll go right back in with no problem, it looks fine, i'd leave it alone or if you did anything put a little wd-40 on it.. but it looks good.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online