XS250SE

Bullfrogbiker
This post is 5500 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

After 20 ish yrs standing in the garden my hubby and I have just rebuilt an XS250SE for my use.

We had it running mot'd and taxed and all was going well until we noticed blue smoke and decided this was due to a valve oil seal not being correctly fitted. So we took the top off and dealt with the issue. but having done this and put it back together we now cannot get it to start.

We have checked all the usual things, we have a good spark at the plugs, the timing is as close as we can get it. The tappets are correct, all the wiring appears to be good. Any ideas?

I have now got to the point where a sledge hammer may make me fell better but don't think it will make the bike start and will ruin my paint job.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah id check the compression, also did you time it with a metric feeler gauge, and do it by the book, you might want to try and redo the timing. also i'd get a new plug, but before that kick it over several times full throttle, then take BOTH plugs out and make sure they are wet with gas, if not your carbs need to be serviced as well.

compression?, are there any signs of an air leak?

thanks for the sugestions, Yes it has very good compression, no signs of any leaks, and we do get a good spark, the right hand side is trying to fire but not the left, and on inspection both plugs have signs of fuel, we have had the carbs done.

We think we may have put the cam back 180 out of line, so will be taking the top back of to check. after all its best to check everything again as we may have missed something. We have been using the book and are using metric guages to do the gaps, but do not have the kit to do this electronically I have been using a cigarette paper in the points to set them. I know very much old school but hey you have to use what is available.

did you mix up the coil connections with the points. try switching them round.

don't forget LT/RT is TDC for valves and LF/RF is for checking timing (contacts begin to open)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online