snapped bleed nipple

hobbo
This post is 5438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, just snapped the bleed nipple off on fz600 rear caliper 1987, tried to drill out and use easy out but that has snapped of

inside , can not drill out easy out as it is hardened steel and to top it all i got stung on the neck happens in threes, tried to find caliper with part finder not one call, does any one think it can be repaired or are there any other rear caliper common to this bike , does any one know if the rear under gaurd number plate section is common to any other model as i can find a good one thanks dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah it is the one i saw it this afternoon i was looking for one in better nick its a bit overpriced but when desperate

and i cant find one i may have to buy it thanks dave

Right, first.....

Did you manage to undo the nipple at all, ie, will it now leak, or is it still tight?

If it is still tight, leave it be, replace the banjo bolt with a combination banjo bolt/bleed nipple.

https://beedspeed.com/product_info.php/cPat...roducts_id/4683

(Try to get a stainless one.)

Good luck.

it has snapped off flush with the top of the caliper and did not move , i think it will leak as i drill it out to the piston

will i have to re thread it to use this item as it looks bigger thanks.

it has snapped off flush with the top of the caliper and did not move , i think it will leak as i drill it out to the piston

will i have to re thread it to use this item as it looks bigger thanks.

The combo banjo bolt/nipple is to replace the existing banjo bolt, which connects the brake hose to the caliper. It would be worth checking if your drilling has compromised the caliper, 'cuz if it's still ok, this is the quickest fix.

If you drill out the broken bleed nipple, you will have to be very carefull not to damage the taper seating at the bottom of the hole, as this is where the bleed nipple tightens to stop fluid leaking.

hi, just snapped the bleed nipple off on fz600 rear caliper 1987, tried to drill out and use easy out but that has snapped of

inside , can not drill out easy out as it is hardened steel and to top it all i got stung on the neck happens in threes, tried to find caliper with part finder not one call, does any one think it can be repaired or are there any other rear caliper common to this bike , does any one know if the rear under gaurd number plate section is common to any other model as i can find a good one thanks dave

got a spare under-guard if you're still looking dave. plus some other bits from the back-end bodywork wise. giz a shout if you're struggling. also for snapped bleed nipples i've used a plain old stud-extractor to wind them out. drill it as wide as about half way up your extractor tho,-use the thickest one you can without drilling through threads. if you've snapped a drill bit into it it's a job for some patience and a very sharp centre punch- tap it anti-clockwise. i've always found cellulose thinners 100 times better than (and more flammable than) WD40. a little heat (don't use a flame- i use a paint-stripping gun) always helps. is it possible to split the caliper and attack it from the inside?

oh and "spares unlimited" in hull are breaking said bike, they may have some calipers in.

hope it helps!

jim

• 2 weeks later...

hi, foamy i got that caliper today the one you sent me a link to ebay i phoned and checked the bleed nipples

where free, and yes you can guess its the wrong caliper, pistons the wrong size caliper to big , it will have to go back

yeah, i checked it with bike breakers i think who had the bike before must have adapted it to fit, i phoned them today

and they can have it back, not giving up till i find a good one.

some auto-engineers may have a diamond tipped drill-ream and will drill out the old nipple. Doesnt matter if there are broken off drills etc in there. Then they will helicoil it for you.

thats the route id take, if calipers are scarce.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online