problem with 125 dragstar

dragstardave
This post is 5467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok here we go about a year a go i put a new battery on a 125 dragstar (because the old one had swelled up to bursting point)just had a look and the new one has done the same anybody else had this problem and sorted it out please let us know

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Jeezy.....

Sounds like something isn't connected/earthed properly.

I think this is going to be a long job of checking all your electrical contacts, fella.

Always check/replace the cheapest parts first.

Let me guess..... and this is just a guess, now......

The ill-located L-Bracket that holds it to the frame had split, snapped or rusted through, providing a fucked-up earth?

It's a common thing on the Drags.

Where's Mikey?

I just mentioned this, didn't I? :D

Let me guess..... and this is just a guess, now......

The ill-located L-Bracket that holds it to the frame had split, snapped or rusted through, providing a fucked-up earth?

It's a common thing on the Drags.

Oh, you've had problems with that L-bracket too?

I'm also on my second one - I think the reg/rec was an after-thought when they designed these bikes...

Mine and Claire's have both gone at some point.

It happens a lot.

Trouble is that all the road crap gets kicked up off the front wheel, straight onto the bracket.

There's a lot of weight bouncing around there on the thin metal and so eventually it goes. Usually just above the single bolt.

When it goes, have a decent mechanic weld it back together back and front with some decent work.

I do believe Yamaha fucked this up, along with locating the oil sight glass and a couple of other things.

Understandable since the 650 (IIRC) was the first model designed to replace the Virago, with others following thereafter.

The 1100's worst "design feature" is that you have to take off the exhaust to access the oil drain, though you can get an aftermarket adapter kit.

• 3 weeks later...

i have got a dragster xvs125 and i have the same probs as you

i was on my bike the other day when i smelt a sort of eggie smell only to see my batterie was very swollen and ready to pop

i bought a new batterie today and only drove for 22miles and batterie was very hot

i think this could be a rectifiyer problem

i have got a dragster xvs125 and i have the same probs as you

i was on my bike the other day when i smelt a sort of eggie smell only to see my batterie was very swollen and ready to pop

i bought a new batterie today and only drove for 22miles and batterie was very hot

i think this could be a rectifiyer problem

Hi King_3 yea could be test the reg/rect and see what voltage you got going into your battry

• 1 month later...

I dont have any experience with this particular model but I have come across this problem before with older British bike. 'Joseph Lucas - the god of darkness'.

Perhaps as a safety measure a thick wire pig tail could be taken from the rect. mounting bolt and then to a good earth just incase the bracket breaks and you dont notice immediately. (Just a thought.)

ATB

J

'Joseph Lucas - the god of darkness'.

ATB

J

:lol:

Perhaps as a safety measure a thick wire pig tail could be taken from the rect. mounting bolt and then to a good earth just incase the bracket breaks and you dont notice immediately. (Just a thought.)

ATB

J

Good idea if its a known common problem.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online