Suggsetions for resurrection of a 30yr stored 175?

QuadManiac
This post is 5407 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I posted a similar topic in Classics, but now realize this may be the correct place.

I've acquired a 73 CT3 175 that's been stored dry under a house for the last 30 years.

I have lots of experience with 4-stroke bike and quad engines, mechanicals, etc., but not much 2-stroke. Any suggestions on the best way to bring this back to life? I will rebuild the carb, clean the gas tank, check the oil pump, oil the cylinder and piston and try to get some oil into the bearings... but what am I missing? Do reeds present any problem with this long time storage? Do clutch friction plates degrade over time?

I've never brought something that's been asleep this long back to life, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I posted a similar topic in Classics, but now realize this may be the correct place.

I've acquired a 73 CT3 175 that's been stored dry under a house for the last 30 years.

I have lots of experience with 4-stroke bike and quad engines, mechanicals, etc., but not much 2-stroke. Any suggestions on the best way to bring this back to life? I will rebuild the carb, clean the gas tank, check the oil pump, oil the cylinder and piston and try to get some oil into the bearings... but what am I missing? Do reeds present any problem with this long time storage? Do clutch friction plates degrade over time?

I've never brought something that's been asleep this long back to life, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Seems to me that you would be on the right track with what you are going to tackle in order to breathe some life into this bike. The most likely things to need sorting are Carb, thoroughly clean, ultrasonic if possible, carb cleaner and compressed air anyway but keep it away from any O rings fitted.

Ignition does it spark, fingers crossed it will .

Crankshaft seals, important for good running of a two stroke and very likely to need replacement.

Check for a good fuel flow from the tank petcock, run fuel into a container to do this, there is likely to be a filter screen in the tank in the petcock or both.

Any suggestions on best cleaning the tank of all the crud I'm sure is in there? And is there an easy way to tell if the crankshaft seals will need replacing?

Any suggestions on best cleaning the tank of all the crud I'm sure is in there? And is there an easy way to tell if the crankshaft seals will need replacing?

To clean the tank of any loose rust or previous coatings, remove the fuel tap, fill 1/3 full of sharp gravel, like the stuff in fish tanks and redplace the cap and then shake it for all youre worth... :lol:

testing the seals needs

a: either a running engine

or b: pressure testing equipment...see my post on pressure testing

...Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online