81' Yamaha xs 400 electrical problems/fuse box

yellowlighter
This post is 5526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a fun 1981 yamaha xs 400 but just recently when I turned over the ignition there were no lights or any power going to the bike. Thinking there was a blown fuse, I checked the fuse box and it looked rusted out. I moved around some fuses (which all were in good shape) and that didn't seem to help. I then tapped on the fuse box and the ignition turned on.

Thinking this was fixed, I rode it around and when I came to my first stop the bike lost power again. Tapped on the fuse box, got power, came to a stop, lost power.

I'm thinking something is wrong with a connection or the fuse box is crapped out. Has anyone have these type of problems before?

I searched the net for hours on this problem and I'm unable to buy a whole fuse box assembly due to it being a direct line to the wire assesmbly.

I was thinking of I replace the 4 fuse block from radio shack and rewire? Or directly rewire? Suggestions or how did other people get over this problem??

If you guys can help me out I would appriecaite it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you can bypass the fuse box by taking the wires that would go to the ends of the fuse on the box and splicing them in to an inline fuse, which can be purchased at almost any electronics store. Or you could just get a brass brush, some WD-40 and some dielectric grease. Brush off the rust, then put the dielectric grease on the ends of the fuse where it is on the contacts, it'll prevent corrosion. good luck! Also found some online if you can't find any locally, ships in 24 hours they say. https://www.reddenmarine.com/site/item-deta...m?id=SDL4205531 11lssbt.jpg

ebay uk has remanufactured fuse boxes for sale.

you just need to get another connector to rewire the bike.

ebay

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online