Cant Start Virago

billy10hats
This post is 5532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings everyone,

I recently bought a Yamaha Virago 250 1994.

I went riding on it the other day and it just started to splutter to a halt "help i thought im in the xxxx".

I then tried to start it but it would not have it, i then checked all the obvious like plugs, fuel pump etc...

I think it is carburetor trouble.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the two throttle cables and the choke cable from the carb ?

I need to take carb out and check starter jet, and clean it.

Any advice would be appreciated very much.

cheers

Trev

PS Hi Frank,

Yep checked plugs and they were dry when i was trying to start engine.

I have just taken carb out, and checked starter piston thingy, thats seems clean,

I think i have put it b ack together correctly, is there a special way of putting

the piston needle back in ?, i notice a raised notch on end of needle round thingy.

Electrics are good, all lights work ok etc...

Cant get into the jobby end of carb where most of the jets are, screws are very tight

and on the verge of being damaged at the head, gonna struggle to get these off (ameuter)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Trev

I assume from you conclusion no petrol was getting to the plugs? It's a seat and tank off job to get to the carb but Im not sure you right in your diagnostics??? It could be a few things, are the electrics ok? My son had similar problem that turned out to be the alternator/low battery

Bottom line is the plugs should help u diagnose and eliminate almost all the issues leaving you with a short list

Atleast with the 250 parts are easy to come by and cheap - unlike the 125 !!!

FrankG

Greetings everyone,

I recently bought a Yamaha Virago 250 1994.

I went riding on it the other day and it just started to splutter to a halt "help i thought im in the xxxx".

I then tried to start it but it would not have it, i then checked all the obvious like plugs, fuel pump etc...

I think it is carburetor trouble.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the two throttle cables and the choke cable from the carb ?

I need to take carb out and check starter jet, and clean it.

Any advice would be appreciated very much.

cheers

Trev

Silly question......

Has it run out of fuel?

Or have you hit reserve?

You may laugh, but only yesterday my other half forgot she'd switched to reserve and ran out of fuel. Had to push the bike over a mile uphill, with a knackered foot, to get to the station. She's been riding for years and years!!

In addition, Viragoes only have around 8L in the standard tank and still just 13L in the upgraded version.

Like I said, it's an obvious thing but...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online