RX100 - bad vibration above 4250rpm - normal?

347cc
This post is 5457 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I recently bought a 1991 RXS100 for using as a bit of fun.

It starts 1st or 2nd kick even after a lay-up and sounds sweet when blipping the throttle at a standstill - no rattles - plug a tan colour.

However, once out on the road, in any gear, as soon as the revs get above about 4500rpm (or even less), it starts to vibe quite badly, feeling really strained. You can feel the vibrations through the footrests and bars and it sounds "buzzy"... It does rev out - but it's unpleasant to ride.

I wasn't expecting perfect smoothness from even a small single - but I can't imagine this is how it's meant to feel, or they wouldn't have sold so well!

The only thing that I thought might be the problem is maybe worn mains?

Really, I just wanted confirmation from someone with a nicely running example that this isn't what to expect, so I can get stuck into tearing down the engine.

Many thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On the RXS100 i had i can't remember any vibration at any speed. A couple of things to check is make sure the engine bolts are tight and make sure the chain is lubed and has some freeplay in it when you are sat on the bike. You can check the left hand side main bearing by removing the gear lever and left hand side cover and see if you can feel any up and down play in the ignition rotor. Tony.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online