XVS1100a suspension

Grissly
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and I have a couple of questions relating to my XVS1100a I've had for six months.

The bike is a 2004 Custom and I love it, but I don't love the soft suspension. I'm thinking of putting some progressive fork springs in, but would like to hear from anyone who has done it and what was the outcome.

Next question relates to adjusting the preload on the rear shock, how is this done easily?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rear shock should be easy.

Whip the seats off to get at the monoshock and twist the adjustment collar using the special spanner provided.

Check the owners manual for precise instructions.

If you have neither of these things, they can be got from a parts supplier and downloaded from the links on this site, respectively.

You might find that fiddling with the rear is all you need to sort out both issues.

WRT the front; have you checked that the forks are in good nick first?

Oil is good, seals are not leaking etc...

It shouldn't feel that soft - unless you're riding fast over speed bumps?

Rear shock should be easy.

Whip the seats off to get at the monoshock and twist the adjustment collar using the special spanner provided.

Check the owners manual for precise instructions.

If you have neither of these things, they can be got from a parts supplier and downloaded from the links on this site, respectively.

You might find that fiddling with the rear is all you need to sort out both issues.

WRT the front; have you checked that the forks are in good nick first?

Oil is good, seals are not leaking etc...

It shouldn't feel that soft - unless you're riding fast over speed bumps?

Thanks Ttaskmaster for the reply.

The front forks are in good nick i.e no leaks or other obvious damage. I could check the oil level. When I 'm on the bike, stationary and I bounce up and down there is virtually no resistance, its like a water bed. I'm thinking that's not normal.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online