yb100 headset bearings

alec2507
This post is 5459 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

i've just done the headset bearings on my yb100 and it was an absolute nightmare, all the old grease had solidified and the steering was jerky so i thought cant be hard to do ( was i ever wrong ) i didn't realise all the bearings were loose so clever old me undid the bolts and took out the bottom yoke on my freshly hardcored hard standing not funny to watch all these little balls falling between the hardcore, after about 2 hours carefully moving rocks to find the little beggars i finally got them all cleaned up and regreased in place, i was going to go to the local bike shop and buy new ones but as per they had no stock, anyway got it all back together about half hour ago and i never realised how smooth the steering really is, i then look on ebay and see that you can buy tapered bearings for the yb and do away with the ball bearing idea, the bike shop failed to tell me about this, anyway its all done now and it feels relly nice to ride but i swear next time it goes in the shop.

after all that does anyone know of an easier way to grease these bearings as there are no greasing points on the headset,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All,

i've just done the headset bearings on my yb100 and it was an absolute nightmare, all the old grease had solidified and the steering was jerky so i thought cant be hard to do ( was i ever wrong ) i didn't realise all the bearings were loose so clever old me undid the bolts and took out the bottom yoke on my freshly hardcored hard standing not funny to watch all these little balls falling between the hardcore, after about 2 hours carefully moving rocks to find the little beggars i finally got them all cleaned up and regreased in place, i was going to go to the local bike shop and buy new ones but as per they had no stock, anyway got it all back together about half hour ago and i never realised how smooth the steering really is, i then look on ebay and see that you can buy tapered bearings for the yb and do away with the ball bearing idea, the bike shop failed to tell me about this, anyway its all done now and it feels relly nice to ride but i swear next time it goes in the shop.

after all that does anyone know of an easier way to grease these bearings as there are no greasing points on the headset,

Do them more regularily then the older grease keeps the balls in. Or bin the balls and fit the tapers as they are in a cage.

Hi All,

Hi

Thats odd no 1/4 bearings availble but if you wish to fit taper bearings I guess it will be fine apart from the cost !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online