Need help restricting yz80 for 9 yr old

This post is 5460 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If this has been covered I apologize, but all that I have found are questions on derestricting a bike.

I just baught a yz80 for my 9 year old son and I need help restricting it so he can learn to ride. We had a choice between that and a pw80. I know the pw80 would suite him much better at the moment but he would outgrow it real soon and I am not one to buy a differant bike every other year. Both bikes were the same price and the yz is more than twice bike from what I hear. Also the yz had new tires, rear spring, front fork and suspension, new plastic all the way around and for 300.00 (only a relative would give you a deal like that) I could not walk away especially if you saw how beat up the pw looked. Not to mention my son wanted to learn to use a clutch (that kinda made me proud).

I know I need to restrict the air intake, exhaust and throttle cable, but I do not know any exact details. I think if I could get the snap out of the powerbands he will do alright. I believe I have the suspension figured out enough to get his feet on the gound. Any info at all would be appreciated.

I did mention to him he may have to wait a year or two and he said he would be fine with that, but I can only imagon the torture of staring at that thing in the garage without being able to ride.

thanx

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know I need to restrict the air intake, exhaust and throttle cable, but I do not know any exact details. I think if I could get the snap out of the powerbands he will do alright. I believe I have the suspension figured out enough to get his feet on the gound. Any info at all would be appreciated.

The best way to restrict the bike will be with a collar stopping the slide in the carb going too high Worked fine on GSXR11's and ZZR11's, Washers on the cable under the carb top would prob work just as well.

Anything else will upset the carb settings etc and on a sensitive stroker like the YZ that can be fatal. You will also be able to gradually give him the power back as his riding improves. Which will be over a week or two probably :lol: By cutting down the collar/removing washers.

The difficult bit with restricting it is making sure he doesent work out what you have done and remove the restrictor without you knowing.

The best way to restrict the bike will be with a collar stopping the slide in the carb going too high Worked fine on GSXR11's and ZZR11's, Washers on the cable under the carb top would prob work just as well.

Anything else will upset the carb settings etc and on a sensitive stroker like the YZ that can be fatal. You will also be able to gradually give him the power back as his riding improves. Which will be over a week or two probably :lol: By cutting down the collar/removing washers.

The difficult bit with restricting it is making sure he doesent work out what you have done and remove the restrictor without you knowing.

So far so good. I havn't got the bike out on the trail yet, but i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanx

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online