XJ600 low speed carburation, 1989

markie
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've checked out the previous posts and most people have problems with elderly XJ's that wont rev. Mine is fine, with a definate kick at 7000 rev/min however, at low engine speeds, say below 2500, sometimes the engine seems to bog down and doesnt like pulling away from junctions.

I get around this by riding quickly, but really want to get it sorted. I have not had the bike long and the previous owner "Cleaned and balanced" the carbs. This from somebody who bought a new seat cover rather than swingarm needle rollers.

Could it be as simple as poor vacuum/air leaks? Where's the best place to start?

EDIT: I found tonight that a previous owner has junked the air filter in favour of a pair of ladies tights (Pantyhose).

Is this enough to scr*w the low speed performance???!!!

Thank you,

Markie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've checked out the previous posts and most people have problems with elderly XJ's that wont rev. Mine is fine, with a definate kick at 7000 rev/min however, at low engine speeds, say below 2500, sometimes the engine seems to bog down and doesnt like pulling away from junctions.

I get around this by riding quickly, but really want to get it sorted. I have not had the bike long and the previous owner "Cleaned and balanced" the carbs. This from somebody who bought a new seat cover rather than swingarm needle rollers.

Could it be as simple as poor vacuum/air leaks? Where's the best place to start?

EDIT: I found tonight that a previous owner has junked the air filter in favour of a pair of ladies tights (Pantyhose).

Is this enough to scr*w the low speed performance???!!!

Thank you,

Markie

:welcome: Markie

just balance the carbs

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online