FZR600 Clutch Slipping

christoph21
This post is 5365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. I just bought a 1995 FZR600 and I've noticed that the clutch tends to slip when you get on the throttle harder in 3,4,5 gear. If you're accelerating normally and fast it's fine but when you throw it down it slips. I just got the oil changed today (Yamalube 20w-50) and it's still slipping. The clutch cable is set up to engage pretty late so I'm going to adjust the cable to engage midway and give it some slack. The bike needs a new fork seal and with this clutch thing, I'm assuming wheelies were done with this bike. It might just be the weather too. When I test drove it, it was in the 60's but I'm not sure how hard I pushed the bike. Today I rode it all over but it was CHILLY - 50's and WINDY!!

So now, if the cable thing doesn't do anything, and weather doesn't seem to be a factor, what's my next move? New friction plates and springs? How much is that going to run??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

springs usually, if the plates look okay then you dont nescessarily need to replace them.

as a short-term fix you can put washers on top of the springs to hold them down tighter, but its best to just replace the springs

springs usually, if the plates look okay then you dont nescessarily need to replace them.

as a short-term fix you can put washers on top of the springs to hold them down tighter, but its best to just replace the springs

Sounds good. Since this is my first sport bike, I'm just getting aquainted with everything. I worked extensively with my old yamaha, but never the clutch. Would this be an easy repair for just me to take care of?

Sounds good. Since this is my first sport bike, I'm just getting aquainted with everything. I worked extensively with my old yamaha, but never the clutch. Would this be an easy repair for just me to take care of?

If you are taking the engine cover off you may as well do the friction plates at the same time.

Not a difficult job at all, unfortunately you will have to drop the oil after having just changed it. As long as you have a torque wrench that goes low enough and be aware that the metal plates between the friction plates have a bevel on one edge (can't remember whether it faces to or away from the engine) follow the order in which they came off when putting them back on you'lll be fine.

Buy a genuine gasket for the cover, pattern stuff is just false economy.

Buy a genuine gasket for the cover, pattern stuff is just false economy.

or atleast dont rip the old one!, i ended up cutting up a cardboard box and making a gasket out of that... it worked for a while

If you're accelerating normally and fast it's fine but when you throw it down it slips. I just got the oil changed today (Yamalube 20w-50) and it's still slipping.

I have a 3HE FZR, noticed similar problem when first got it (& posted it on here!)

Someone was kind enough to reply and tell me that its a common fault cos the timing is set to provide better top-end, which results in people dragging the clutch to get bike to pull away at lower rev range (below 3000rpm).

To be honest, i just got used to it - wasn't a major issue. As you say, its fine for normal riding.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online