Help needed - paraffin on tyres causing problem?

arran
This post is 5559 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello ,

It was recommended to me to use paraffin from a friend for getting the muck and oil splatter off the wheels on my new r6.

It worked amazingly but.. i don't remember him telling me that i must clean the tyres quickly after, incase the remaining parraffin makes contact with the tyres.

Now i am left with 4 blue lines round each side on my tyres!

I have a track day booked for Monday and i am now informed from this friend that if thats the paraiffin set into the tyres

they will fail to grip!

This is going to mean more £££'s which one is lacking!

Please give me your advice!!!!!!

Thanks,

Arran

arranpowellAThotmail.com

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1: get your 'pal' to show you how he does it, in time for next years track day

2:hire a 'Sumo-suit' from your local fancy dress hire shop, and go for the track day event, hide in toilets while your 'pal' sits on the grid, run out and mount the bike only at the very last minute after the stewards have left the grid

3:cover the bike and your 'pal' in ' ylang ylang oil to mask the parafin

4:check your medical insurance

5:get new tyres, prontisimo, or quickly whichever is sooner

6: start again, this time omit the parafin 'with gusto' bit :huh:

I've used Paraffin to clean of grease and oil from the bike for close on 20 years and never had a single problem with it reacting with Rubber.

Paraffin is soluble in both Water and Petrol - presumably you washed the bike after cleaning the much off ? Even a quick rinse is sufficient.

Maybe over time, say weeks rather than hours/minutes Paraffin may affect the stability of the tyre (ie the rubber) but I doubt very much that this is the cause of your blue lines - Have you tried washing them off ??

It's not that dangerous, they give it to easy constipation......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online