FZR1000 GENESIS 1986 ..HELP / ADVICE NEEDED

MR.GRAEME
This post is 5456 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI ALL .i have a old 1986 fzr1000 genesis i am slowly trying to get on the road....and am having a few problems with getting a good deal on tyres .the front is fine .but the rear uses a 160/60/zr 18 tyre ..and most stockists seem to mainly deal in 17" sizes ...so as a thought i was thinking of buying a rear 17" wheel from a 1995 exup ..does anyone now if this will just be a simple swap over ..or would it cause me problems, ...sorry if this sounds a daft question ,but i am rearly stuck ...thanks alot.from graeme.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI ALL .i have a old 1986 fzr1000 genesis i am slowly trying to get on the road....and am having a few problems with getting a good deal on tyres .the front is fine .but the rear uses a 160/60/zr 18 tyre ..and most stockists seem to mainly deal in 17" sizes ...so as a thought i was thinking of buying a rear 17" wheel from a 1995 exup ..does anyone now if this will just be a simple swap over ..or would it cause me problems, ...sorry if this sounds a daft question ,but i am rearly stuck ...thanks alot.from graeme.

http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/index.p...p;search=Search

90 Quid for a conti aint bad.

I have gone down this route with my FZ750,first using a 1000 genny wheel but wanted better choice so went 17".

You could use a complete 1000 Exup rear end,not a difficult conversion,I used a rear wheel off a 600 thundercat.It uses the same sprocket mounting so no grief when changing them,you can use you original caliper but will need a different rear disc & caliper mounting bracket.If you buy all thundercat parts you can then adapt in different ways because anything you do will need adapting. If you need more help & I`ll do my best.

THANKS .will have a look on ebay and see what i can find...maybe its going to be cheaper and alot more straight forward to leave it alone and have a limited choice on tyres.....i take it that 18" rims are an 1980.s thing ,,as most bikes all seem to use 17" tyres.....saying that i have since found a pair of bridgestone bt021 for £199 for the pair ,..but then i get confused on the best tyres to go for..dont seem as easy as buying a car tyre when you just buy what you can afford..i seem to get swamped with questions and options for which tyre to go for..

THANKS .will have a look on ebay and see what i can find...maybe its going to be cheaper and alot more straight forward to leave it alone and have a limited choice on tyres.....i take it that 18" rims are an 1980.s thing ,,as most bikes all seem to use 17" tyres.....saying that i have since found a pair of bridgestone bt021 for £199 for the pair ,..but then i get confused on the best tyres to go for..dont seem as easy as buying a car tyre when you just buy what you can afford..i seem to get swamped with questions and options for which tyre to go for..

Yep, 18" rear tyres were the norm until the late 80`s.

Bridgestones are good tyres,I used a pair of them until recently on my FZ in the same size as yours until I converted to 17". I got around 3000 miles out of the rear including two wet track sessions at Donington,very good feel. Try M&P, sometimes they have deals that you just can`t leave. I bought a pair of Metzlers for less than trade price.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online