1992 Yamaha FZR shift forks

christoph21
This post is 5536 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I want to buy an FZR and was prepared to spend 2000 if needed but I'd have to sell my 81 yamaha cafe racer. This was a sad idea but I was prepared to do so. I just found a bike with a clean title that needs some work. That's fine because I am motorcycle savvy and did all the work on the 81 yamaha and others myself.

The work: He claims that the shift forks need to be replaced and his motorcycle mechanic buddy told him that. When I went and checked it out, he told me that he has trouble getting past third. I don't remember if he said second doesn't work or not (I know that's a problem for FZRs) but I think it was just getting past third. So I'm wondering if I'm going to have to replace some gears while I'm in there.

So he wants 800, it sounds like i can get it cheaper, possibly 600 based on 'he just wants it gone and has a new project car'. The rest of the bike was not bad. The only thing I saw is it a new back tire is due soon. It ran and sounded great and started right up.

Thoughts?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.