Problems with Virago XV 250cc

xinchao
This post is 5551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, so I'm looking for any advice out there! If you can help it would be great thanks.

Well the problems I have with my bike are when it is very wet or cold conditions. I drive a Virago XV 250cc.

She's a 2001 reg, the problems i am having with her is when it gets very wet (I live in Ireland, so that is most of the year hahaha) the bike seems to lose power, almost like a fuel line fault but I know it is not that because i have checked that and nothing seems to be the matter. Personally i think it must be an electric fault but I'm not sure. I have talked to a friend about it and he seems to think that it could be a 'carb icing problem', but that could only be in cold conditions and not wet conditions. The bike seems to stutter and become sluggish and lose power. She will cut out when i slow down, especially in traffic, and this is a nightmare in town and city driving. So i am at a loss really about this. Instead of sending it in to be looked at I thought i could post a topic here as maybe this bike has problems like this , i am not sure, usually it is fine but it happening with more frequency these days, probably because the bike is getting older. I look after the bike and she gets a full service twice a year. I don't do that much mileage on her and she is always garaged everyday/night. She's a clean bike so I have no problems with rust or any other maintenance issues. So if anybody here knows about this problem I would be really grateful if anyone could advise me. BTW, i have checked the spark plugs and the caps and they are always fine, no cracks on the cables and the plugs are always dry. So can't think of anything else really...

Anyway, cheers for reading this post and i hope I can get a reply soon.

Kevin.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is water getting into the air filter somehow? I would start by unplugging every electrical connector and applying some dielectric grease in the plugs and plug them back up. Also make sure the plug caps are not shorting out in the wet conditions.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online