Idle speed with choke on

*TQ*
This post is 5555 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've only had the bike for a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if the following is normal.

The bike won't start from cold with out either the choke on or some revs (or sometimes both). It then won't idle properly for a few minutes, when it does it seems to be idling slightly slowly (only slightly, about 1100 instead of 1200). I haven't managed to adjust the idle speed yet (will probably do it this weekend). The major problem I have is the idle speed when the choke is on, it seems to be between 3 and 4 thousand rpm. Is this normal? I think I'm really annoying the neighbours in the morning sitting on the drive with the bike idling at 4 grand waiting for it to warm up.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its normal for the bike to sometimes require choke when cold, but idling at 4-5k doesnt sound right, possible air leak?

if anything the bike should idle low with the choke on

no two bikes start the same. there is a different knack to every bike.

when you get it started let it sit with the full choke on and as it settles out to 3-4 thou revs put the choke back about half way and let here sit, you may hear the revs starting to rise slightly as the engine heats. put the choke of fully and see if she idles. :D

when you are adjusting the idle speed make sure the engine is warmed up and the choke is off.

best bet is to take it for a run and stop in a layby/ carpark and adjust it there. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online