My New Yamaha XV125

Alistair789
This post is 5533 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hya there guys, ok so about 3 weeks ago i got my self a 1997 Xv 125 Virago,

absolutely fab bike, not had any really big issues bar one, which i'm not 100% sure what is causing it.

When you run the bike and let the throttle fully or even just 3/4 off then try to apply power again,

there seems to be a 10-20 second lag in the power pick up and in this time the bike sounds like it's,

tryinig to get more petrol but simply can't.

Now i have tried running the bike with the choke slightly open and it seems to totally eliminate this problem.

Any ideas>?

Also on another note, how easy are the Highway Hawk Slash pipes to fit on the virago?

Cheers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

id say try ajusting the jet needle it should b on the 3rd slot down (with the pointy bit to the floor) then u put it down for richer and up for leaner

well i spoke to the local dealers(padgetts) and they said it's a common fault with the bike running too lean,

now i've had another problem crop up¬¬ the alternator and rectifier are getting very hot, coupled with the battery seems to not be charging right when the bikes running, anyone got any ideas/ had this issue!??

right to stop the bike from running too lean you can do 1 of 3 things

1. clean or replace the air filter (cost 10-20 quid )

2. adjust the needle (cost 0 )

3. put a slightly bigger main jet in ( i can get them for a pound a pop but expect to pay up to a fiva)

and the other problem

the only thing i can think of is its electrical ( a loose connection can cause earthing causing overheating )

first check the battery connections disconnect them and run a wire brush over the battery connections and the bolt, then the wire connection, if that fails check all the connections for corrosion or that green powdery stuff, clean, then put back together.

i had a similar problem with mine and found that the wires to the battery wernt connecting properly but the wire brush treatment sorted it out

hope this helps . Paul.

right to stop the bike from running too lean you can do 1 of 3 things

1. clean or replace the air filter (cost 10-20 quid )

2. adjust the needle (cost 0 )

3. put a slightly bigger main jet in ( i can get them for a pound a pop but expect to pay up to a fiva)

and the other problem

the only thing i can think of is its electrical ( a loose connection can cause earthing causing overheating )

first check the battery connections disconnect them and run a wire brush over the battery connections and the bolt, then the wire connection, if that fails check all the connections for corrosion or that green powdery stuff, clean, then put back together.

i had a similar problem with mine and found that the wires to the battery wernt connecting properly but the wire brush treatment sorted it out

hope this helps . Paul.

Ok cheers for the help mate, it turns out the battery isn't charging at all and from what i can tell the wires that come from the alternator and go to the rectifier are getting hot, but no the wries coming from the rectifier to the alternator!!

I'll try cleaning up the battery connects see if that helps, i believe the bike has in the last 3 months had a new rectifier so i'm wondering if the problem is infact the alternator!!

Anyone have any idea where you can get a Virago 125 manual? I've tried all over and so far failed :(

• 3 weeks later...

Problem was the alternator had it rewound and all is now fine (famous last words) - erm except the case has now got an oil leak as sealant was used - gasket now ordered.

Ok cheers for the help mate, it turns out the battery isn't charging at all and from what i can tell the wires that come from the alternator and go to the rectifier are getting hot, but no the wries coming from the rectifier to the alternator!!

I'll try cleaning up the battery connects see if that helps, i believe the bike has in the last 3 months had a new rectifier so i'm wondering if the problem is infact the alternator!!

Anyone have any idea where you can get a Virago 125 manual? I've tried all over and so far failed :(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online