1975 dt 175b points & condenser

DtZ
This post is 5398 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

need help to replace points & condenser on a 1975 yamaha dt175b? thanx in advance

? & what i mean by this, is the whole proccess removal of parts & tools i might need .

or info on a manual thanx!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If i remember right. All thats needed for this job is a phillips or flat screwdriver and a feeler guage set. Have your new parts before you start the job and just remove old parts and replace with new parts as you go. It`s really a pretty easy job.

Good luck finding a condenser! No longer available @ Yamaha and neither KK or Parts Unlimited carries anything. I ended up enlarging the hole where it fits in and used a Suzuki condenser with success. I had to do a little soldering but it got the bike running. Point gap should be right at .013".

thanx i needed the gap. im, well this may sound stupid but since im new to ancient bikes here it goes.ok so i bought this bike running & of course a week later no start. checked everything.. main switch ,cutoff switch, battery, wireing harnest coil ressistance (also found a coil on ebay bought it thinking that might be it, & no. test's the same as the one i already had) & i say this because i have no spark . found points & condenser replaced condenser still no spark ?

now what i need to know is what exactly what creates the spark ? now if i take the plug out & uncover the stator motor , run it with a drill the battery charges up & the lights all work? so wtf ist it - im getting ready to blow this thing up!

thanx i needed the gap. im, well this may sound stupid but since im new to ancient bikes here it goes.ok so i bought this bike running & of course a week later no start. checked everything.. main switch ,cutoff switch, battery, wireing harnest coil ressistance (also found a coil on ebay bought it thinking that might be it, & no. test's the same as the one i already had) & i say this because i have no spark . found points & condenser replaced condenser still no spark ?

now what i need to know is what exactly what creates the spark ? now if i take the plug out & uncover the stator motor , run it with a drill the battery charges up & the lights all work? so wtf ist it - im getting ready to blow this thing up!

Hi there dont confuse the lights and charging system with the spark. The ig system is COMPLETELY separate generating its own electricity from the mag/stator assy.

You have a black wire coming from the mag, this should be from the points/condenser leading to the coil. You have checked the coil so thats ok, and i'm assuming fitted a proven plug and cap?

Now do a continuity test from the coil to the points, you will need to dissconnect the condenser for this as it can give some screwy readings.

If that is good to the points then double check them, making sure any small isulators and such are in place. Finally a check on the primary coil which should be around 300 ohms.

I have said this before but a good cheat i have used in this type of problem. Take a fully charged auto battery and connect the - to the engine at a good ground point, now disconnect the points and touch the battery + to the wire to the coil. If all is good then the bike should generate a spark. Make sure you have a fuse in line just in case.

Finally these bikes do seem to be quite sensitive to the points setting requiring you to be really accurate with the setting.

If all the above checks out then you may need a dial gague to really 'dial it in' sorry couldn't help that.

If the black wire coming from the points is grounded anywhere it will not spark. It could be grounded under the flywheel to.

need help to replace points & condenser on a 1975 yamaha dt175b? thanx in advance

? & what i mean by this, is the whole proccess removal of parts & tools i might need .

or info on a manual thanx!

Hi,

I guess the bike has no spark ? if so I would go for ignition timing first (is the bike has the advance unit .. advance it) then make sure the points open/break @ 1.8mm btdc. I would guess you will have a spark and may run. If it does switch the lights on is it then misfires you have a rough condenser. If you have at this point a spark & every other part of the engine is in good nick look to see if the plug is always wet (fuel soaked) when you try to start the bike you may have other problems. To remove the mag you will need a P134 extractor (in the UK) and a piston stop (some people think the piston stop is a bit rough but tbh it works better than Yamaha's method). I would guess getting the timing right will cure the problem tho

Regards Jim

ok new development i get spark ? it seems like every few minutes. ok , like if i go try to start it , it will spark the first kik, then on second kik no spark & if i wait a few, kik again first good second no good? any suggestions thanx!

ok new development i get spark ? it seems like every few minutes. ok , like if i go try to start it , it will spark the first kik, then on second kik no spark & if i wait a few, kik again first good second no good? any suggestions thanx!

Set the ignition timing

Regards Jim

that's what i was thinking? would u know how to set it on this model? thanx!

i got new points with the condenser i bought ,& i was thinking i should do that now. just to get it over with.

um i can see that there's a slot ,for what i think is a phillips for the points? also, timing & point gap ajustment , are they the same thing?

i am starting to really enjoy getting to know this bike. im really thankful of u guys taking the time to answere my questions. thanx!

I'm having a similar problem, but mine is a 77 DT 250 without points. Let me know how you make out. I've not the time or tools to troubleshoot the bike, it's a full time job, so will let you know what my bike tech comes up with on mine. So far we expect it's the source coil. Currently it's unavailable from Yamaha, so I'll be improvising something no doubt.

that's what i was thinking? would u know how to set it on this model? thanx!

i got new points with the condenser i bought ,& i was thinking i should do that now. just to get it over with.

um i can see that there's a slot ,for what i think is a phillips for the points? also, timing & point gap ajustment , are they the same thing?

i am starting to really enjoy getting to know this bike. im really thankful of u guys taking the time to answere my questions. thanx!

I'm having a similar problem, but mine is a 77 DT 250 without points. Let me know how you make out. I've not the time or tools to troubleshoot the bike, it's a full time job, so will let you know what my bike tech comes up with on mine. So far we expect it's the source coil. Currently it's unavailable from Yamaha, so I'll be improvising something no doubt.

I guess no one is listening

but hey I guess a DTI either way will do the problem . perhaps buy one between u !

Regards Jim

well i think, it's the timing. actually ,im sure. this morning, i attemted to set the timing & actually got really good spark. felt like it would start, so i sprayed some starter fluid in the cylinder before the plug & it started for a few seconds. then it seemed that i had a fuel problem becous it would only run on the starter fluid. then after try & try i got no spark again i think ,the timing mech is some how bad ? not sure yet. but , when i do get the timing within a certain range i get spark then i loose it . any tips?

well i think, it's the timing. actually ,im sure. this morning, i attemted to set the timing & actually got really good spark. felt like it would start, so i sprayed some starter fluid in the cylinder before the plug & it started for a few seconds. then it seemed that i had a fuel problem becous it would only run on the starter fluid. then after try & try i got no spark again i think ,the timing mech is some how bad ? not sure yet. but , when i do get the timing within a certain range i get spark then i loose it . any tips?

Hi,

if the timing is set correctly I would guess the bike will run , there is the point that the bike has the timing running out & only runs on some form of accelerentent until it runs out and the spark dies thro some ignition timing falure or a compression issue. but if it's timing read my previous posts

Regards Jim

all righty then, so timing is good ! works on starter fluid. but it does not run without it. spark plug not getting wet at all, now i know i should have gas & oil. but i can't find any info on how it mixes it ? now, i took the cover for the oil pump to bleed it & found like 8 oz of water mixed in with oil in the case area ( lots of rain this summer) now ,it seems like the pump is good but, were does the second hose from the pump that goes into the trans go to? also how can i figure out if it's the oil pump or something to do with the carb. would it run on gas if it wasn't getting oil? thanxs!!!!!!

so close i can feel the wind in my face ! thanx!

Ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! victory! after buying my first moto and having it not work days after i bought it( 3 months ago ), it finally runs (thanxz for all the help!!! ) now i think i need a clutch or fluid ? too much or not enough? help ....

afther fixen the ing problem it seems that the floats were stuk shut so ajusted & BooM! it works great !

is it hard to do the clutch???????? thaxz again !!!! & be safe

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online