1975 dt400 clutch help

bigbun01
This post is 5553 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm a newb to being a motorcycle mechanic and could use some advice. I got a dt400 and have gotten it running. the problem is the clutch. I can get it into gear, but the clutch won't go in all the way to disengage. (for example, I can put into first gear, but when I engage the clutch the bike still won't roll freely). I tried to just adjust the cable, but still not good enough. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No, this is when it is not running. If it was while running, it would be down the street! I'm just not sure where to start. Like I said, I tried to just adjust the clutch cable, but it was not good enough. The problem is down underneath the motor I fear.

Ok but it might not need adjusting at all, if its been sitting as a non runner for a while the clutch plates may very well have stuck together...a common occurrance.

Try this

Run the bike for a while to warm up the oil

switch engine off

select 3rd gear, pull in clutch

rock the bike back and forth, hopefully you will get it to move without turning the motor (enlist some help here)

If that fails youre gonna have to drain the oil, remove the clutch cover case and strip down the clutch to free the plates, not a big job or

overly complicated on these bikes. This might be the best option anyway as you can replace the transmission oil while youre at it.

Good Luck.

I know this is basic but if you haven't stripped the clutch yet I was wondering if you had tried warming the engine and then turning it off and then bump/crash starting the bike in gear and once it's going pulling in the clutch and giving it a rev.

It's worked for me in the past as my bikes have often stood idle whilst I've been overseas.

Have fun

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online