weird clutch problem

MVTECH
This post is 5551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I own a 1980 xs400 special, and recently i'ved encountered a little problem with the clutch, once i start the bike and after warming up i attempt to put the bike in any gear and it will go into gear but the bike will jump into gear, it will be like putting the bike into gear without engaging the clutch lever. And will cut the engine. I'ved checked the clutch adjustment by the book but no matter how many times i try the adjustment it will still do the same thing, please help... Thanks. The clutches and plates with cable were recently intalled.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I own a 1980 xs400 special, and recently i'ved encountered a little problem with the clutch, once i start the bike and after warming up i attempt to put the bike in any gear and it will go into gear but the bike will jump into gear, it will be like putting the bike into gear without engaging the clutch lever. And will cut the engine. I'ved checked the clutch adjustment by the book but no matter how many times i try the adjustment it will still do the same thing, please help... Thanks. The clutches and plates with cable were recently intalled.

its clutch drag, when you say adjusted is that just at the handle bars or the full adjustment?

you could have a sticky cable, so lube it!

there may be some rust on the clutch rod preventing full movement.

or you might have rusted plates and just need to ride the bike

or the plates have warped preventing them opening

oe there may be grooves on the clutch basket preventing the plates moving

there's a lot to go on to keep you busy for a while :lol:

its clutch drag, when you say adjusted is that just at the handle bars or the full adjustment?

you could have a sticky cable, so lube it!

there may be some rust on the clutch rod preventing full movement.

or you might have rusted plates and just need to ride the bike

or the plates have warped preventing them opening

oe there may be grooves on the clutch basket preventing the plates moving

there's a lot to go on to keep you busy for a while :lol:

Thank's for the valuable info.... Will try all the above and post the results, thank's and regards

Some models of Yamaha have a special order for the clutch plates to be fitted.

I found I had no clutch on my FZX when I reinstalled the new plates in the wrong order. :blink:

ATB

Ian

After verifying all of the possibilities of the problem, iv'e found that the clutch push rod did have some rust and didnot have enough grease and it didn't allow it to operate correctly. Once that was taken care of it worked fine. Thank you all for the valuable info and the great tips.. This is one more reason why i love this site, Thank's again and greetings form Puerto Rico.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online