powervalve servo & cdi unit fault

bob-c
This post is 5558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1988 DT200R recently bought to rebuild, after mending a broken ypvs servo cable and adding a battery , the servo was centering on switch on and working fine .... for about 10 miles. It now just spins 1 way without centering . I have had the servo circuit and pot checked by an electronics guy and he found no fault but could not check the chip. Is there any way I can check the CDi unit ?

Any thoughts welcome

Bob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1988 DT200R recently bought to rebuild, after mending a broken ypvs servo cable and adding a battery , the servo was centering on switch on and working fine .... for about 10 miles. It now just spins 1 way without centering . I have had the servo circuit and pot checked by an electronics guy and he found no fault but could not check the chip. Is there any way I can check the CDi unit ?

Any thoughts welcome

Bob

You have prob checked but i'll ask anyway as a friend of mine had the same issue years ago on a 350 and it was a busted cable, looked ok at each end but it had corroded in the middle, if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the input, not cable as I have the cables disconnected to check servo operation , the servo just spins 1 way when powered up .

Thanks for the input, not cable as I have the cables disconnected to check servo operation , the servo just spins 1 way when powered up .

Again this applies to my old powervalve......

P148 section 9

Testing the servo motor

Motor operation, Connect a jumper lead between the neg battery terminal and the black red pin in the motor connector block, a second jumper lead between the pos terminal and the black and yellow pin in the connector. That should opperate the motor. If you reverse the connections then the motor will reverse.

The potentiometer is tested looking for a figure of 7500ohms +-30% at 20 deg C

Connect the meter between :

blue/yellow and white/black

blue/yellow and white/red

white/red and white/black

You can only check the cdi by substitution. I believe there is a test for the control unit but swaping in a good unit is prob the most reliable check.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online