79 XS 1100 Shifting problem

JBM
This post is 5555 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased a 1979 XS 1100. Was in pretty good shape except that carb 1 was puking gas out of the air intake.

Have since taken care of that problem and it now is running very good. Problem is that I can shift up to 2 gears up and 1 down without a problem. Up shifting I have to wait about 15 seconds or so before it will go to the higher gear. If I don't wait long enough the shifter just feels like there are not any more gears to go to. Wait a few seconds and then it will click to the next gear. I can usually get it to down shift 1 gear sometimes 2. Then I have to stop, reach down with my hand and work the shifter to get it back down to 1st. Also I don't think the shifter is returning to the center position after shifting. Could the spring that recenters the shifter being broken cause this issue? The bike had sat for a couple of years so I thought that it might loosen up with some use but that doesn't seem to be happening. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Id guess its return spring is worn or maybe bent shaft. theres an 1100 forum and id bet they can help you out. 11's arent strangers to tranny issues.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/

It was the spring. Broken in 2 pieces.

thats good news, you got lucky.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online