XS400 pipes

LJB_OSB
This post is 5559 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

looking for exhaust options for my 78 XS400...

either going for the 2-into-1 MAC full system or just graft some aftermarket shorty silencers on my stock head pipes...

any thoughts on the MAC system?

quality?

sound?

performance?

also, i do not see a mounting point for the silencer from the MAC system... does it just hang off of the header, or, does it attach somewhere that i am not seeing?

i will be cutting the frame and am holding off until i figure out the exhaust and if i need any mouting points for the silencers...

thanks for any and all info.

LJB

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

looking for exhaust options for my 78 XS400...

either going for the 2-into-1 MAC full system or just graft some aftermarket shorty silencers on my stock head pipes...

any thoughts on the MAC system?

quality?

sound?

performance?

also, i do not see a mounting point for the silencer from the MAC system... does it just hang off of the header, or, does it attach somewhere that i am not seeing?

i will be cutting the frame and am holding off until i figure out the exhaust and if i need any mouting points for the silencers...

thanks for any and all info.

LJB

I bought a 2-1 for a CM400A 2 years ago. I got the painted head pipe and chrome can. The paint came off the head pipe after the first ride. MAC did not follow through with an RMA as promised, and I got tire of bothering them. Eventually sold the bike.

The pipe was loud and buzzy. I had to stuff fiberglass inside the can to get it reasonably quiet. It was not a "performance" sound, just annoying. The bends on the head pipe were not accurate, I had a lot of trouble getting it lined up straight. I replaced the mounting hardware with stainless steel because the cheap screws, bolts and nuts they sent would have rusted in a short time.

The pipe was made in China (the nice girl on the phone admitted they only coat and packaged it in the US) and for what it cost them to make and then charge over 200 dollars for it they should use better coatings, decent hardware and QA it better.

Performance? Didn't notice a change. They claimed no rejet required, I think it ran a little lean until I stuffed the can with fiberglass.

The baffle in mine rattled like a paint can. I had to wrap the forward section with muffler tape and tap it back in to keep it from rattling at certain speeds.

I'm no fan of MAC pipes, I'm sorry to say there are few choices out there. Next bike project I see with bad pipes I'm looking at what is available besides MAC, including OEM on ebay.

Of course there are probably plenty of satisfied customers who love their MAC pipes. I've never met anything but disgruntled customers who said "they were the only thing I could find".

got a motad system on the project, which sounds meaty and has good midrange to top end performance.

My nice one has an original 1:1 which is the best all round for performance, but is heavier

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online