xj600 1990 Hreg just bought electric problems plz help

headleaking
This post is 5561 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi to everyone new and first time here!

i have just bought a XJ600 H reg 1990 very very very cheap been shut away for a long time and forgot about

the problems i have are the following

no spark what so ever..... the N light is on the oil light flashes as its turning over,the rev counter does not move when cranking, is there any way to check the coils? or is there a way to put power to the coils to see if its a feed wire problem to them?

if its not the coil problem anything else to look at?

the 4 fuses under the seat what are they for? the fuse box cover is missing ...the reason i ask is there is only voltage across 1 of them (the fuse are all ok)

as the other problem i have is no lights front or rear bulbs ok no brake light also the indicators do work

thanks for any help you can give

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Go over all the wiring connections and make sure they are clean. Pull them apart and clean with wire wool or 1200 wet & dry. Don't forget the handle bar switches. You can get products in a tube from you car/bike shop to protect the contact surfaces longer.

A bike that's been sitting around for a long time is prone to joint and switch oxidisation because the items are not being used, and it builds up fast.

It may not be the answer to your problem but it will eliminate the most likely cause with little expense and a bit of your time.

Regards.

Hi

Go over all the wiring connections and make sure they are clean. Pull them apart and clean with wire wool or 1200 wet & dry. Don't forget the handle bar switches. You can get products in a tube from you car/bike shop to protect the contact surfaces longer.

A bike that's been sitting around for a long time is prone to joint and switch oxidisation because the items are not being used, and it builds up fast.

It may not be the answer to your problem but it will eliminate the most likely cause with little expense and a bit of your time.

Regards.

am slowly checking all the wiring there is power going to the coil on one side but no spark from both coils and still cant get any of the lights to work

is there a pick up coil on the xj600? could it be that at fault? i would be surprised if both coil units had failed

have a look all along the wiring loom, sometimes there is a fuse on thier own. i cant say for certain as i dont know your bike.

could it be the brain (CDI)? :unsure: these can sometimes get fried if a booster pack is used to start them.

good luck ;)

am slowly checking all the wiring there is power going to the coil on one side but no spark from both coils and still cant get any of the lights to work

is there a pick up coil on the xj600? could it be that at fault? i would be surprised if both coil units had failed

Hi,

you have pickup coils on the 600 .... under the l/h crankcase cover but tbh untill you have gone thro all the connections (maybe as simple as a rusty/shorted kill switch ) there is no need to start 'over' diagnosis just run thro the wiring first to ensure everything is fine there then look at the 'boxes'

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online