coil resistance for yb100 or new coil?

atocp
This post is 5561 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First and foremost, I'd like to point out I never did physics at school. An whereas I can tinker to get something working, the proper procedures usually aren't followed by me when it comes to electrics.

Question: I have a YB100 and I believe the coil may be faulty. I set the Voltimeter to 200 (not 200k) and tested the ground and the 'live' to the negative and positive respectively. It gave me a reading of 2.4. I then put the voltimeter to 200k and tested the ground and the HT lead, and got a reading of 6.3. I then did the same but replaced the plug cap to the lead, and got a reading of 10.9.

Does anyone know if this is anywhere near the correct readings? I checked haynes, and it talks about 0.17ohms +/- 10%. But I don't seem to get near those values. Even after changing the voltimeter settings. Does this sound like it is time for a new coil? I have a feeling it might be.

I just bought a new NGK spark plug cap, would it really throw the readings as much as it has, even with a new coil?

As always, thank you for any advice and assistance you can give me.

cheers, atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First and foremost, I'd like to point out I never did physics at school. An whereas I can tinker to get something working, the proper procedures usually aren't followed by me when it comes to electrics.

Question: I have a YB100 and I believe the coil may be faulty. I set the Voltimeter to 200 (not 200k) and tested the ground and the 'live' to the negative and positive respectively. It gave me a reading of 2.4. I then put the voltimeter to 200k and tested the ground and the HT lead, and got a reading of 6.3. I then did the same but replaced the plug cap to the lead, and got a reading of 10.9.

Does anyone know if this is anywhere near the correct readings? I checked haynes, and it talks about 0.17ohms +/- 10%. But I don't seem to get near those values. Even after changing the voltimeter settings. Does this sound like it is time for a new coil? I have a feeling it might be.

I just bought a new NGK spark plug cap, would it really throw the readings as much as it has, even with a new coil?

As always, thank you for any advice and assistance you can give me.

cheers, atocp

Hi Atocp,

what heve you set the meter to read 200 ???? I would guess a YB with no spark will be down to the ignition timing (if the timing is a long way out u wont get a spark at all irrespective of a voltage from the HT lead to earth you have to take into account the voltage from the HT lead to earth is well in excess of 200v !. So I guess just get the timing sorted !

Regards Jim

Hi JimR,

The voltimeter had the options 2M, 200k, 20k, ->2k and 200. The 200 was the only one that seemed to get a reading when I connected the ground and the wire. And the same reading was given when i tried the HT and ground using either 200k or 20k. It just changed itself automatically to read the same value.

I will go away and read up on the Haynes manual and see what I can do about the timing. I have a new ignition coil on the way. But i'll check the timing before I install the new one.

Thank you again for the help JimR, very much appreciated.

cheers, atocp

Hi JimR,

The voltimeter had the options 2M, 200k, 20k, ->2k and 200. The 200 was the only one that seemed to get a reading when I connected the ground and the wire. And the same reading was given when i tried the HT and ground using either 200k or 20k. It just changed itself automatically to read the same value.

I will go away and read up on the Haynes manual and see what I can do about the timing. I have a new ignition coil on the way. But i'll check the timing before I install the new one.

Thank you again for the help JimR, very much appreciated.

cheers, atocp

Hi atocp,

so I guess your talking an ohm meter so now I know you have one you need to check the HT lead to earth & also the small (orange) wire to earth if you can give me those readings I could work out if the coil is U/S but tbh I would guess the timing to be incorrect

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online