77 xs400D Speedo

bswinn
This post is 5461 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright not exactly sure how to describe this one but here goes. My '77 xs400d has a mechanical speedometer. The speedometer is driven by a gear assembly attached to the front wheel. This gear assembly is turned by a special nut inside the tire. This nut was broken when I bought the bike. But when i bought the bike the front forks and tire were off so I did not see how the front tire was set up. From the manuals it appears that the rotor goes on the right hand side of the front tire, and the speedometer driving gear assembly goes on the left.

Before reassembly I decided to break down the gear unit and recondition it by lubing it up since it was pretty damn dry when I got it. Now that it's assembled the gear inside turns one way VERY smoothly like I think it should. But if I try to spin it the other way it binds up pretty badly. Now that shouldn't be a big issue except for the fact that according to how I picture it when it's put on the bike forwards is going to be the direction that binds up the gear. I'm thinking that will lead another of those special nuts broken.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with these mechanical units? And if so do you know if it should spin freely in BOTH directions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the speedo drive goes on the left hand wheel( as sat on the bike! )

there's not a lot really to go wrong with them as they are mechanically simple utilising a worm drive driven off a "special 2 teeth washer" . this engages with the gear drive, which in turn mates with the worm drive.

schematic

recheck the spacers and washers are in the right order and that the drive engages in the lower fork properly.

drewps

Alright not exactly sure how to describe this one but here goes. My '77 xs400d has a mechanical speedometer. The speedometer is driven by a gear assembly attached to the front wheel. This gear assembly is turned by a special nut inside the tire. This nut was broken when I bought the bike. But when i bought the bike the front forks and tire were off so I did not see how the front tire was set up. From the manuals it appears that the rotor goes on the right hand side of the front tire, and the speedometer driving gear assembly goes on the left.

Before reassembly I decided to break down the gear unit and recondition it by lubing it up since it was pretty damn dry when I got it. Now that it's assembled the gear inside turns one way VERY smoothly like I think it should. But if I try to spin it the other way it binds up pretty badly. Now that shouldn't be a big issue except for the fact that according to how I picture it when it's put on the bike forwards is going to be the direction that binds up the gear. I'm thinking that will lead another of those special nuts broken.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with these mechanical units? And if so do you know if it should spin freely in BOTH directions?

Hi,

sounds to me like a worn out worm gear or its housing

Regards Jim