*Yamaha TZR 50 - Speedo Problems*

Sam Swann
This post is 4126 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I was out riding my tzr50 the other day, my bike ran perfectly fine and has done for months now, the only problem is when I looked down whilst riding, the tachometer still works but the digital speedo doesn't?

The speed is stuck at 0 mph and the mileage is stuck as well

what could be the problem?

If you need anymore info just say

thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

All the cables seem fine, there is a cable coming from the wheel which must be the sensor sending it to the speedometer I've been told there sometimes on the gear box aswell, but the cable coming from the centre of the wheel seems fine and the whole of that cable all the way to the speedo seems fine

anyone got any ideas?

• 4 months later...

All the cables seem fine, there is a cable coming from the wheel which must be the sensor sending it to the speedometer I've been told there sometimes on the gear box aswell, but the cable coming from the centre of the wheel seems fine and the whole of that cable all the way to the speedo seems fine

anyone got any ideas?

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with my sons TZR50. I tested the speedo by disconnecting the cable loom going to the wheel and by using a short piece of wire shorting out terminal 1 and 3 on the loom going to the speedo. The speedo should register a few mph (ignition on!) this means the speedo is working. I then took off the front wheel and looked at the speedo drive. the ring tht engages in the wheel to read rotation was stuffed. I had to replace the whole wheel unit and cable loom as it is sold by Yamaha as one part at £47.50 + VAT The only issue my son has now is that since we de-restricted the air box and put a pipe on, the bike spends most of the time with the speedo reading its max of 50mph. Does anyone know how to de-restrict the speedo???

The only issue my son has now is that since we de-restricted the air box and put a pipe on, the bike spends most of the time with the speedo reading its max of 50mph. Does anyone know how to de-restrict the speedo???

Yep, try putting a big spacer above the carb slide :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with my sons TZR50. I tested the speedo by disconnecting the cable loom going to the wheel and by using a short piece of wire shorting out terminal 1 and 3 on the loom going to the speedo. The speedo should register a few mph (ignition on!) this means the speedo is working. I then took off the front wheel and looked at the speedo drive. the ring tht engages in the wheel to read rotation was stuffed. I had to replace the whole wheel unit and cable loom as it is sold by Yamaha as one part at £47.50 + VAT The only issue my son has now is that since we de-restricted the air box and put a pipe on, the bike spends most of the time with the speedo reading its max of 50mph. Does anyone know how to de-restrict the speedo???

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi! Does anyone knows what kind of readings there should be on terminal going to speedometer (Ingnition on).

Especially if you shortcut pin 2 and 3 ?

I know pin 1 is 12v ,pin 2 is gnd and pin 3 signal to speedo.

Just trying to figure it out where is the problem for speedo with 0 speed (Hall effect sensor already changed)

What interest me is when I check terminal (signal from sensor) coming from speedo with voltmeter I get around 6v reading coming from speedometer.

Speedometer is defective or is it?

Thanks in advance !

btw. I get same result as this user below when I connect pins 2 and 3 ???

I had the same problem with my sons TZR50. I tested the speedo by disconnecting the cable loom going to the wheel and by using a short piece of wire shorting out terminal 1 and 3 on the loom going to the speedo. The speedo should register a few mph (ignition on!) this means the speedo is working.

Thanks about this info!

I think Speedo is broken. Any good ideas for replacment speedometer??

New ones are off the limit my budget. :-)

Nicsy, your best bet is EBAY then if price is a problem, or look around your local breakers to see if they might have one off of something else that might fit. :jossun:

PS, don't forget the INTRO in NEW MEMBERS section top of front page. :eusa_doh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online